View Single Post
Old 05-03-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
The Religious Reich see abortion as a holy abomination and getting it banned will get them a free pass through the Holy Gates. They care about the fetus right up until it's born. The Rethuglicans see supporting the banning of abortions as a way to harness the voting power of the so-called holy Christians. Never mind when the majority of Americans are in favor of allowing abortions to those who want them, the Repubs don't give a rat's ass about the wishes of the majority or majority rule.

Your body your choice as long as it's what we want you to choose.
1) I think you'll find that the public's opinions on abortion really haven't changed that much over time. Gallup has been tracking the polling on this for decades. According to their data, as I read it, the most notable migration of opinion is from those who think abortion shouldn't be allowed at all to those who think abortion should be allowed only in limited circumstances. In other words, based on Gallups decades of tracking, most folks still don't think abortion on demand is OK.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

2) It's interesting to me that this topic is in the "Religion and Politics" subforum. It's easy to blame the "religious right" for the public sentiment regarding abortion. But, again referencing the Gallup data, that would suggest that the approx 70% of folks who believe abortion should not be legal, or only legal under limited circumstances, are Bible thumpers. I don't think that's true either.

3) "They care about the fetus up until its born" is another example of a narrative that doesn't reflect the facts. There are scores of charitable organizations out there - some aligned with faith-based organizations and some not - that support single mothers and single-parent families, both during and after delivery.

Both sides in this argument tend to talk in absolutes. The reality, like the Gallup poll that indicates that most folks favor abortion in limited circumstances, suggests that agreement and public sentiment can be found somewhere in between the two poles.