View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 07:32 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post

I agree, as I've never thought that tariffs were a long term solutions to any problem. The threat of tariffs can be effective if there's economic force behind it. The threat of a tariff on steel can be effective if we have a thriving domestic steel industry, but we don't.

All this is to say that at least we've been able to restart the discussion on the state of the middle class and the erosion of our manufacturing base. Let's hope that in the next four years we apply appropriate economic policy and start to rebuild a manufacturing base that supports a thriving middle class.

Now, if Krugman going to give back his Nobel Prize?
The thrust of Trump's admin is to slow down the Chinese. I do not believe this admin really think that manufacture would be returning in any serious way.
The previous admins (both Dem and Republic) went to sleep re China. "Made in China 2025" really startled the western democracies. Trump has succeeded to a fair extent in pushing China out of strategic areas and reduce the ease of technological transfer. China might have to change its date.

BTW Xi really helped Trump's slow down project. Xi and his many border issues...wtf.

Last edited by Dondilion; 10-26-2020 at 07:38 PM.