View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I love your attempt to set up straw dogs. You're truly unmatched on this. I also notice you sidestepped most of the content of my post and focused on a single sentence where you thought you could play "gotcha". Sorry to disappoint.
You said you knew exactly where we were on the Laffer curve. Show me.

Quote:
However, is it even arguable that you'll get more capital formation and conversion as the tax rate on capital gains goes down?
Of course it's arguable. The economy is multi-faceted and doesn't depend on one thing like tax rates. The economy has done really well in times of relatively high taxes and really poorly in times of relatively low taxes (and vice versa). For example, if Trump's tax cuts result in significantly higher inflation and interest rates (as is feared) or if his threatened steel and aluminum tariffs cause a trade war, the economy will suffer.

The whole supply-side myth is simply pseudo economic science contrived to sell tax cuts for wealthy conservatives to the poorly-educated and easily manipulated. It has never worked in practice, but the myth seems to have stuck with people like you gullible enough to buy into it.

Last edited by finnbow; 03-01-2018 at 01:49 PM.