View Single Post
Old 01-16-2024, 08:43 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It's entertainment, often dramatic, a touchstone of American culture and often at the forefront of social change. This would be a different country without Jackie Robinson, Curt Flood, Muhammad Ali, Arthur Ashe, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Don Haskins, Ed O'Bannon, Billie Jean King, Tommie Smith & John Carlos ...

I personally cannot fathom not being interested in sports and part of being interested in sports is having a deliberate bias in favor of and against certain teams. It simply makes it more fun and interesting. Why forego entertainment, particularly entertainment that is a huge part of the American experience?
When I was a kid I sort of followed baseball. But I grew up near Chicago, and in those days no Chicago baseball team, especially the Cubs that were on TV the most, ever got anywhere. I think the long, persistent negative reinforcement led me to disengage utterly in self-defense. To this day I am convinced that if I have a favorite if I happen to watch a game, that fact will assure their loss.