View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 AM

First sorry about the mixed up italics; I can't find how to switch part of them off. Suffice to say blue writing is from thee to me; black writing from me to thee...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Quote:
[B]

I have never heard of this. Where is this practiced/advocated?
Seems ridiculous on the surface but I would like to read the theory as to how this is positive.

Don't know about the 'States but in U.K. in the 60's, there were some 'trendy' schools (mostly in London) where teachers thought if you surrounded them with books children would learn by a kind of osmosis. Didn't work.

God would not be able to help you if you raised a hand to one to my kids. I am not a blow hard and I am dead serious.
You're missing my point. It was never the case where you could smack someone else's child, but again in the 1950's/early 60's it was not unknown for the local 'Bobby' (Policeman) to clip a truant round the ear (not hard, just enough to emphasis that they shouldn't be playing in bombed out buildings, nicking apples off market stalls etc.). The alternative would have been to take them to the Police station, charge them with trespass or theft, drag their parents in to pick them up (believe me; that could earn them a lot more than a clip round the ear), take them to Court, fine them (which their parents would have had to pay) and give them a criminal record.

Quote again.

God would not be able to help you if you raised a hand to one to my kids. I am not a blow hard and I am dead serious.
What do you think of corporal punishment in schools? Now it's outlawed in the U.K. but up to the 1960's a lot of schools used it. Scottish schools were harder than English schools. Luckily I wasn't educated here but a friend of mine was. On his first day at secondary school he and all the other new boys were lined up, told to hold their hands out and given one hard swipe with the Tawse (split ended cane). Then they were told that if they misbehaved they'd get more. It's traditional for blowhards my age to say something like "I got the cane several times when I was at school and it never did me any harm". My reply to that is as they have no base for comparison, how could they possibly know?

Quote again again.

God would not be able to help you if you raised a hand to one to my kids. I am not a blow hard and I am dead serious.[/QUOTE]

What would you do if the local school bully persistently hurt your daughter, and his parents were unwilling (or unable) to control him? If you saw him hurting her again would you haul him off her and when he used foul language and promised to 'get her when your back was turned', maybe lose your temper and hit him?

I was in a position like this. After we moved house my daughter went to a new school with a useless head teacher. He refused to accept the playground was run by a group of bullies; one boy in particular. My daughter was the new kid on the block, the target. After the school did nothing, I managed to get her back to her old school. She was a lot happier until she went to a local dance. The bully was there and gave her a hard time. Evening ruined; no social life (she was 13), back to square one.

I'd had enough so I 'phoned the boys parents, spoke to his mother (his father was out) and told her if her son ever went near my daughter again, I'd bounce him up one side of the school playground and down the other. Half an hour later her husband 'phoned me back and said if I ever touched his son he'd put me in hospital (your attitude?) so I said OK, I'll be round your house in half an hour. My wife tried to stop me but like I said, I'd had enough.

Amazingly, when I got there no blows were exchanged; instead we started to talk. Turns out his son though physically strong, was weak willed and did what his sister told him to do (she was a seriously nasty piece of work). The father was badly beaten by HIS father when he was a child so would not even raise his voice to his son. The mother ruled the roost and thought both her children were 'little angels'. Since I talked to both parents, the boy never touched my daughter again so tell me. What would you have done in my situation?

Last edited by Combwork; 01-03-2010 at 10:16 AM.