View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Back to the OP. I think the folks that (over)react to what they see as apologies by Obama have largely fallen victim to the "American exceptionalism" argument. Namely, they see America as inherently better than other nations, with loftier ideals, purer motivations, etc. (they relish the shining city on the hill metaphor). This nationalistic poppycock limits their ability to recognize where and when we screw up in international affairs. This myopia also results in the inability to learn valuable lessons from poorly executed international entanglements.

These "apologies" by Obama are nothing more than his acknowledgment of some of these screw-ups to people outside our borders who have long since been keenly aware of them. He's basically showing himself to be realist with some knowledge of history and diplomacy rather than an ideological and antagonistic dolt.

Beautifully put, Finnbow.

This is why I think one of the worst things that came out of WW2 was this absurd notion that if you kick the living piss out of another country, they will become your friends. There are people in this country who honestly buy into this monstrous line of thinking.

Remember GWBs comments on this? "Why, look at Germany and Japan. They were our enemies during the war, and now their our best friends."
I'll bet people all around the globe were thinking; "Man, I wish the Americans would lay waste to my country so we can be friends."

Dave