View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I'm firmly convinced that the Iraq invasion was a NeoCon wetdream to restructure the Mideast, via the domino theory, into a peaceful region compliant to our (and Israel's) geopolitical interests.

The whole WMD threat was nothing more than a "bureaucratic" justification that they thought would work in the wake of 9/11, and Wolfowitz said as much.

Saddam was a convenient boogeyman and the WMD/terrorism rationale was a threatening enough reason to justify their big adventure in the sandbox. The Downing Street memo cast further light upon this (as did the Valerie Plame/Joe Wilson brouhaha). The NeoCon's had a compliant nincompoop in the White House (with a grudge), an strong ally there as well (Cheney), and a cabal of NeoCons in DoD (Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith) and a weak, easy to roll National Security Advisor, Condoleeza Rice.

Sincerely, I have no doubt about this being the case. However, America is unwilling to admit to itself that we spent so much in blood and treasure on such a cynical misadventure.
I have to quote finnbow here and say I think he's summed it up perfectly, and accurately. These things unfolded over the last seven years, and AFAIC it's now glaringly obvious how things turned out the way they did. I should also note that many of the things finnbow describes above became obvious almost right away to anyone unwilling to swallow what the White House and media were feeding the American public, and look a little, just a little, deeper into what was really happening. Scary, and so very frustrating.