View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
To answer Fast Eddie: I agree with what you say as to how things work in the here and now. Somewhat off topic, but maybe not... what happened to the teaching of morality at home, in the schools, and in society in general that has brought us to this? Greed has always been part of the mix. How have we let it become such a large part?
I absolutely agree that the primary responsibility for imparting morals and values belongs to parents, with a little help from the community (I've spoken before about the former drill sergeant baseball coach who was at least as interested in developing solid citizens as he was in developing baseball players). While I don't want morality legislated, we made darn sure that our kids understood the moral and the practical issues with teen sex, but we balanced that with information about protection. They learned a work ethic, and as a result have had the ability to return to jobs after taking time off for school and other things. We would not let them drink until they are 21 (but it is don't ask don't tell in college). The younger one ended up paying for most of his freshman year because of the choices he made (which made us look like geniuses because of how much he grew up that year, but he deserves all of the credit for that).

The point is, I am definitely more conservative in my lifestyle than I am in my politics, but that is a choice I am free to make.

Regards,

D-Ray