View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 AM
reflexionar

Gun control brainstorming?

Instead of derailing another thread, I decided to try and start a new one on gun control. I would like to know where you stand on the issue and what direction you would like to see the issue heading. I would also like to see ideas that you think might actually be accomplished. Try to be realistic. Please realize that this is a brainstorming session, so no personal attacks please. Differing opinions are great, but nobody should have to be told they are idiots or that their ideas are stupid. I find that very counter-productive to honest discussion

As a conservative, I feel it is my right to own a gun. I wouldn't say I have a huge arsenal, but I have a variety. I have a large and small caliber handgun. I have a 12ga shotgun. I have a 7mm and a couple .22 rifles. I also have a couple fun guns such as a Marlin .357 magnum lever action rifle. I got my first .22 as a kid on 20 acres and started out plinking pop cans. I took a hunter safety class at 14 so that I could hunt, but wasn't the world's best and really didn't enjoy it much. I have taken other classes through the years and at one point had a CCP, although I don't currently have one. To me education is the best form of gun control. I am certainly not against needing education, training, and some sort of license/permit to have guns. As I said in another thread, you need them to drive a motor vehicle and they can be as deadly as a gun. This is not a disclaimer, but just to provoke thought of how many more people would die by vehicle if people were just allowed to jump in a car and hit the road without a clue. That would be my start on gun control. I think that a slow change is going to be the most effective as I don't see big, fast changes being anything but political fodder. Please remember, brainstorming, not fighting.

BTW, I haven't hunted since I was a teenager. I find the thought of needlessly taking a life not to my liking. I am not a vegetarian, but I won't kill the meat I eat. I don't fish either. I remove spiders from the house for the wife by taking them outside. I am not completely pure though...I have no problem killing flies or defending myself, verbally or physically.
Marc

Last edited by mpholland; 12-15-2012 at 10:10 AM.