View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Exactly. The government never sent a single manufacturing job overseas. Neither did the unions, environmentalists or any organization but private business and they did it of their own free will.

Now, try explaining that to a Republican and watch his head explode. The Republican will lay sole blame at the feet of "Big Government", Clinton and "Liberals", however......

The GOP removed Free Trade from their platform less than five years ago and their base has completely forgotten the GOP was ever in favor of it, yet the initial proposals for NAFTA came from the Reagan Administration and were advanced by GHWB. Remember the meetings with Vincente Fox and Bush the First? Remember the "Ceremonial Signing" of NAFTA? Regardless, opening a door doesn't make them or anyone else but private industry to blame for walking out.
As I recall, NAFTA was a collusion between government and private industry. The people that profited are the ones that built the corridor (at least in Texas). The goal was to circumvent the Unions that controlled shipping on the two seaboards by bringing cargo up through Mexico and Texas.

The Carlyle Group ran the prices up on warehouse property along I-35. Bought what they could. I know of one company that paid Carlyle millions of dollars just to stop bidding against them on one mid-sized warehouse.

Correction; The Carlyle Group was bidding against GAF for the ownership of a company called ELK. It involved more than one warehouse.

Last edited by BigElCat; 01-23-2022 at 09:12 PM.