View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
If incentives do not work, perhaps your operating at 100% of the factories capabilities.

Like I said without being there, it is hard to know anything.

Perhaps he is looking at the other employees that are not receiving a bonus, therefore not doing as much as you, and others that are receiving bonuses are?

My best guess ?

Bill
No, we're not at 100%. Actually, probably closer to 60-65%. And, that's based on real data. For instance, a line that routinely ran ~16,000 to 18,000 cases in a ten hour shift three years ago, only averages about 10 to 12k in a twelve hour shift today. I was on the OEE team until it broke up last October, so I have a good idea what the numbers are.

Funny thing is, we still make a profit. And a healthy one at that. At least that's what we're told.

I dunno. It's so hard to tell what's real and what isn't anymore. Everybody lies and sugarcoats. It's crazy.

The biggest factor I see is the near total lack of experienced people on the night shifts. When they went to twelve hour shifts, they went by seniority. Of course nearly all of the senior and best people went to days. There is only one person on my line at night who has run it for more than two months----Me. And I've run all three high speed canning lines for eight years. The rest are all temps, who come and go. I get a crew trained and they either move them or let them go, and bring in more temps. It's aggravating as hell. Sometimes I just want to pack up my shit and walk off.

My Dad once told me, "Sometimes all you can do is keep clocking in until they tell you to stay home." At the time, I thought that was a pretty defeatist thing to say. But, now, I'm beginning to think he was right.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-24-2012 at 03:26 PM.