View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 03:05 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroJunk View Post
But, I still don't understand why over paid athletes grand stand over something that they are going to have zero affect on and lose a shit load of money in the process.
I disagree that there is zero effect as much as you'd like to frame it/wish it were that way.

Football, basketball and baseball are the lifeblood of American culture and the great societal leveler. Where else can some kid from South Bugtussle in Redneckistan or a kid from below the Eight Mile in Detroit or a kid from South L.A. rise to the top earners in this society, boot strap style?

People, young and old, look up to their favorite sports teams and the best players and follow what they are saying and what they are saying in essence is that black and brown lives matter too. This isn't about dissing the flag, the military or apple pie, it's about a distinct and institutional lack of fairness in American society. If you are white, you are born on second base even if you hail from Appalachia, Stumpbroke, Texas or Pigwaller, Nebraska.

I hope #take a knee spreads to the NCAA and even high school teams because peacefully protesting inequity is as American as apple pie and getting to second base.