View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 03:16 PM

Excessive voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
We used to just have BG&E as the power company, then Constellation Energy bought into it and the governmaent came up with this half-assed idea of de-regulation. The CEO is a former investment banker so he sank aall the profits into some unrelated to power companies. Needless to say, smartass lost beaucoup $$$, so before the former Republican state government left office (we kicked them out) Constipation was granted a 72% rate increase and they are still claiming it was not enough.

Power generation should not be in private hands, Hydro Quebec and Ontario Hydro charge half of what these jokers do, still make a profit and have enough power generation in the works that they can supply half of the northeastern states.

March of 2008 my battery backup started beeping and putting High Voltage messages on the computer screen. I went to my workshop and put the Fluke across the AC supply - the 120V was at 149.6 volts. I ran around the house unplugging everything, but by the time I made it to the second floor the two TVs had taken the brunt, both failed a month later. I wrote to the PSC and Constipation ended up buying two new TVs.
Sounds like a bad ground. Twice I've bad grounds cause erratic voltages. You get a better idea if you pull the cover to the service panel and test both hot legs to the ground lug. If you have 150 VAC on one leg and 90-100 VAC on the other, then it is your ground. The two should add up to 240/250 volts, depending on what the company runs their system at.

Chas