View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 01:58 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
By clinging tenaciously to "zygotes" the hope is the diminution of humane consideration and especially conscience.
Oh you see right through me. I of course should drop all more specific terms in favor of 'baby?' But for the vast majority of pregnancy terminations, zygotes is technically correct. Because the vast majority of pregnancy terminations are by prevention of implantation, by device or drugs. The current ideology would rule these terminations murder. Do you share this view?

Again, rights in conflict. You ascribe moral status and rights to a developing human, pre-brith, from the point of a fertilized egg forward. I say the woman, whether adult or barely-pubescent girl, has rights to bodily autonomy. A right you also share. Would you like it if someone took away your bodily autonomy because someone really needed your bone marrow? What compels me to recognize these purported rights of, in general, insensate clusters of cells, over the rights of grown free citizens?

You have only your moral sense to support your view. Why should your moral sense rule others? This is another of those issues that Lewis Carrol described, when he had a character say 'The question is, which is to be master--that's all.'

Last edited by donquixote99; 05-20-2022 at 02:03 PM.