View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I would hazard a guess that the recession may have been easier on those in vocational trades where the service can not be outsourced. If you majored in Philosophy back in the 80s you may be as competitive at an MBA is now...or vice versa. Any MBAs here?
Not me, I dropped out after the ttenth grade but if that guy Beach from the Heritage Foundation I saw on the Newshour last night was an MBA I'll take him on anytime. He was saying the the reason the unemployment was much lower is that a lot of people have stopped looking. Then he went on to say that people who had been unemployed for so many weeks had lost their skills and were unemployable.

I never heard so much BS in my life, companies here are spoiled rotten. they locate where states or towns give them tax breaks then the whine because the schools are not turning out their robots and they wany the taxpayer to pay for re-training people. I'll be that all those Chinese they outsourced their company to needed training. In fact that was the hidden cost of outsourcing and is why companies like GE are bringing it back. Far too many expensive flights back and forth to China to get things done right.

I wonder did the first CNC machine come with an operator? They complain that programming one is difficult and requires special skills. More BS, back at Bell we made programmmers out of guys in the St. Vincent de Paul prison in Montreal, and later hired some when they got out. If company X wants trained people, do what any intelligent company does, find people who can learn and train them. You might have to fire the whole HR department to find them but they are out there.

Sorry getting crabby in my old age, turning 82 today probably did it.