View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Of course, that's not my argument, and not what I'm saying. I think you know that.

Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
No one said that employees do not matter, but the corporation exists for the shareholders and not the employees. The employees contract their labor to the employer. I liken it to, say, leasing a piece of machinery. I know it sounds callous. This doesn't mean that employees are not valuable or have an inherent worth beyond their capacity to provide labor, but it does mean that their interests are not as important to the corporation as the interests of the shareholders.

It must also be pointed out that our higher standard of living has been brought about by the corporate structure and its concomitant increase in efficiency. Corparations do indeed have divergent and often competing interests, thus, as Obama's campaign has demonstrated, there will be plenty of competition with corporations participating in elections.
And that needs to change. You honstly don't see where likening people to "...a piece of machinery" might lead to problems? Did you read any of what I posted here. It already has. We've been here before. The reaction to "Welfare Capitalism" was not just unfavorable, it was violent.

In my opinion, "Citizens Untited" is antithetical to a free society. It is further consolidation of power into the hands of moneyed interests rather than the will of the common populace. It subjugates the common folk to the will of corporate bosses and their shareholders.

One man, one vote. Any other path leads to tyranny.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-18-2012 at 03:58 PM.