View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Not Detroit, Benton Harbor. Agreed, the place is a mess and the aforementioned elected officials are losers. No argument there. And, the "emergency manager" has been there for a while, I have no issue with that. The line was crossed with changes made to the law, (By Gov. Snyder) allowing him to suspend voting and summarily strip elected officials of any authority. To my mind this constitutes dictatorship. The people have a right to choose their leaders. If said leaders are idiots, so be it until the next election rolls around, or the people petition for a recall. It shouldn't be up to Jenny Granholm or Rick Snyder to pick and choose who they want to be mayor of wherever.

But, I can see, in the current political climate, this sort of thing going national. And that's a genie that needs to stay in the bottle, IMHO. (Regardless of which party has the state/federal majorities or WH.)

Dave
The argument is a non-starter with me, Dave. If the city can work its way out on its own, fine. However, it could not work its way out with the "Emergency Manager", and that should speak volumes. The kicker with both Detroit and Benton Harbor is that now they can't dig their way out without an infusion of state money.

Now, when Steve Rattner was pegged as the auto czar by Obama to dictate to GM and Chrysler how things were going to go once the Federal loan guarantees were in place, that was all just fine. Now Benton Harbor and Detroit are going to be taking state money, and a synonymous arrangement is not fine? Help me understand the logic, please.