View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Last time I checked, Netanyahu as invited here to speak to Congress. I don't think Obama was invited to Israel. Also, your link rates the claim of Obama's interference as "mostly false" based on semantic differences with how a blogger described Obama's efforts. From your blog post:

If any U.S. money was used to mobilize anti-Likud voters, it would have been in Israel. A more accurate figure would be $233,500.

Next, there is a matter of the blog’s tense. "Has been sending" says the action is continuing. In this case, the money stopped flowing in 2014, before elections were called in Israel.

So, we know that an amount of about $233,500 was sent to an anti-Netanyahu PAC in Israel as directed by Obama. Finally:

Yes, Obama sent money to OneVoice, a group that promoted a two-state solution. And yes that group partnered with a different group V15 that wanted Netanyahu defeated. But there is no paper trail that the money given to OneVoice was spent on an electoral ground game. It would be naive to ignore that OneVoice’s policy positions mesh well with V15’s voter mobilization, but that’s different from saying that American taxpayer dollars were spent by V15.

That may change as more evidence comes to light.

Bottom line - Obama sent $233,500 in US tax payer funds to an anti-Netanyahu PAC, or at the very least a PAC that promoted policies that were/are at odds with current Israeli policy. The only thing that we don't have is a "paper trail" between that PAC and V15, but there's no dispute that those PACs were in partnership, had common goals and worked together.

You really need to start reading what you post.

So, as soon as Obama is frog-marched over to Israel, I'll be happy to re-examine your position on Trump's comments.
Afaik, a two state solution was U. S. policy at the time, so supporting it against a purely one state nationalist would be within our National interest.