View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Yeah it would be a pretty bad thing. However, red states nullifying elections would basically destroy America. And would make the things you worry about inevitable. My point was if there is no loyal opposition extreme measures might be proposed if an illegitimate government was about to threaten the whole democratic experiment.

The Supreme Court isn't powerful. It can't enforce its decisions. By ignoring precedent it can push a President into a corner. The power of the court comes from Presidents of both parties enforcing and abiding its decisions. All it takes is one President...Trump, Biden, or whoever, to ignore it if they thought a decision was an existential threat to American democracy. Then it's over for that institution. That is why what they are doing re:abortion in Texas is very dangerous.

Georgia is actually decreasing polling stations and at the same time denying people the right to drink water while forcing those same voters to wait hours in voting lines. I would call that fascism that is actually codified by Georgia state law. If the Republican Senators and their colleagues Mansion and Sinema don't want to outlaw that what is America supposed to to do?
Just sit back and let it happen? What does America do if Georgian Republican voting officials don't count the legitimate vote and decide to throw the election to candidate that really didn't win?
I see what you guys mean about red states being over-represented, and being in a position to slip 'operatives' into the political machine.

Many of them move into a red state just to become politicians. And they can buy votes with campaign promises, and Federal Relief money.

I don't see it as a threat to American democracy, because the idea we live in a democratic society is a hoax. We never have, and we never will. It's an illusion that is transforming into something else at the present time.

Our founding fathers were a small number of rich white guys who didn't want to pay their taxes. Then they had to generate revenue to stay in power, went after the moonshiners, the first task of the standing army. Because the top dogs always have to appear morally righteous. Then all the citizens had to start paying taxes.

Blah, blah pay your taxes, accept the idea that the poor get a few drippings from the hideous machine.

I'll stop now, have a tendency to ramble.