Thread: Memorial day
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 07:03 AM

My namesake, Captain Gordon, of the 72nd Pennsylvania Regiment died at the Battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas during the Civil War. Kind of odd that we were both born in Philadelphia and ended up in NW Arkansas. My situation is much better than his was though.

My grandfather was an infantry grunt in France during WWI. My father was almost legally blind, but had excellent close vision. So he was put to work calibrating Norton bomb sights during WWII. My father in law was a Naval aviator and retired a Commander. Two of my Uncles were Korean vets and were both high ranking officers, one a General the other a full bird Colonel.

Colonel Phillips was the most interesting one of the group. He was a test pilot at Edwards AFB in the late 50,s and 60's. He wanted to be in the Mercury astronaut program but he was 6'1" and the cut off was 6'. He did get his astronaut pin though. He was a test pilot in the SR71 Blackbird development program at the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works.

My Brother is a retired US Army Airborne Ranger. He served in Granada, Panama, and the first Gulf War.

I have never served in the military. I was kind of an idiot for not joining the Air Force after college like my uncles wanted me to. I am sure I would be retired by now with a hefty pension and some of the good old Soci@listic VA healthcare. I just did not have the stomach to join. Vietnam ended the year I graduated from High School. That war left some really bad tastes in peoples mouths.

My wife and I will be visiting the National Cemetery here today to put a flag on my father in laws grave.

These are the soldiers we really need to remember. They died last week in Afghanistan.

US Army Sgt Michael J Knapp, 28, Overland, KS
US Marines Sgt Jabraun S Knox, 23, Fort Wayne, IN
US Army Cpt Jesse A Ozbat, 28, Prince George, VA
US Army 2LT Tobias C Alexander, 30, Lawton, OK
US Army SPC Samuel T Watts, 20, Wheaton, IL
US Army SPC Arronn D Fields, 27, Terre Haute, IN
US Army 2LT Travis A Morgado, 25, San Jose, CA
US Army PFC Cale C Miller, 23, Overland Park, KS
US Marines Cpl Keaton G Coffey, 22, Boring, OR

According to iCasualties, the total number of allied service members killed in Afghanistan is now 3,016.