View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I bet they're far more familiar with the anthem's lyrics than you are.
And you'd lose that bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Are you OK with these lyrics?
“No refuge could save the hireling and slave/ From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave/ And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave.”

Personally, I'm not offended by someone else finding these racist lyrics offensive. I understand that conservative media has instructed you to be upset about it and it's very obedient of you to comply. Is it your view that it is unpatriotic to object to racism? That seems to be the GOP position in the days of Trump.
I don't see racism in there. I can see how racism can be imputed to the lyrics, however. I see a description - maybe somewhat sensationalized - of the composition of British forces: slaves who chose to side with the Brits and fight for their freedom, and the "Hessian" soldiers.

I wonder if the kids had the context and history if they would find the lyrics "racist".

It not my view that its unpatriotic to be racist. It is my view that supporting historical ignorance doesn't do anyone any favors. Conservative media hasn't instructed me one way or another on this. I just find it needlessly divisive.