View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I agree.

My success rate for putting plumbing back together so that it doesn't leak is about 50%.
I'm having plumbing issues too. The basement toilet was running so I put in a new tank kit. The new water ballast leaked and sunk to the bottom of the tank so I had to do it all over again.

Today I'm working on the upstairs bathroom sink which has been dripping. I put a new cold water valve in yesterday. It still drips and now the hot water doesn't work at all. So today I'm removing the flexible pipe connecting the faucet and shut off valves to see if there is a hard water deposit clog. If the shut off valve is clear I'll check the flexible pipe. If the pipe is OK then the faucet itself is fucked and I'll have to replace it. We have really hard water here which can fuck up plumbing pretty quickly.

I couldn't help the furnace. It's probably 45 - 50 years old. I lit it as I always do this time of year but when it cycled on flames shot from the front of the unit. It was fortunate I happened to be standing right there and was able to put out the fire quickly. Melted all the wiring and the shut off valve. It was corroded beyond repair, so $2600 later I have a shiny new furnace, including a new flue liner to bring it up to code.