View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
BlueStreak::

Substitute "Unions" for "religion" in that statement and you got my opinion also.. Sad, but true.

I have lived in the "Bible Belt", too, Man. Since 1986. The reason neither of us has experienced any trouble for not being as devout as some of these people is because the Constitution stands between us and them. One thing I'll give them is they do seem to respect that......so far. But, give them a government that lends its influence to help as they "Prosletize" and "Spread the Word" and watch what happens. "Onward Christian Soldiers, Marching as to War!", Bud. Anyone whose beliefs don't affirm theirs will pay the price. You can bet on it.

Besides the 1st amendment, there is ANOTHER important protection against Theocracy that you should consider... Article VI.3

Do you really think I hadn't considered that.

That is just as important (to me anyway). Because BOTH sides need to ponder this one seriously. Not only does pre-empt a Theocracy, it also disallows that religious affilation should ever be a consideration for office..
Abso-friggin'-lutely!
Let me share one small story with you;
It won't drive you into my camp, but at least it should give you some insight;

My Mother had seven children, four boys and three girls. I was the youngest. We were raised in Ohio in the 1940s through the 1970s. My mother was a deeply religious woman raised in a religious household, her family was staunchly Republican. She was determined that at least one of her sons was GOING to be a pious man and become a Reverend. This was her dream. By the time I was a small child all of the others had all disappointed her. Sooo.......,

To shorten it up and get to the point............

One fine Sunday morning, she woke me up and commanded me to get up and ready for church. Being about 10-12 years old, I was beginning to fell a little rebellious, and I told her that I didn't "want" to go to church.............

When she finished whipping me with the cord she tore off of lamp on my night stand, she made me sit in church all morning, (With welts from my shoulder blades, down to the backs of my knees.) under the threat that if I had told anyone, or embarrassed her by crying, that there was "...more where THAT came from." It was a very stoic Sunday morning. Too many of them were.

"You're going to accept Jesus Christ if I have to beat him into you!" Thanks, Mom.

Don't ever try to tell me that religious folk, even Christians aren't capable of such things again. It won't work. I'll never buy it.

And when I see that smug, glazed over, "We have cornered the truth, and we're gonna help you find it too!" look in the eyes of some smug, obsessed , self righteous jackass like Bachmann, Palin, Santorum, Hannity or Beck et al, as they spew their propaganda.....Oh, yes it does give me the creeps.

Damn right it does.

Always will.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-06-2011 at 03:02 PM.