View Single Post
Old 02-11-2024, 09:19 AM

When we got the referral, we considered asking for an alternative. Since it was just an assessment for ADD, we figured it wasn't that big a deal since we would be in and out in an hour or so, and that they should be able to handle it competently. It wasn't until that one specific question came up that I began to think maybe we had made a mistake.

If it had been for a real crisis issue, or something that required an ongoing relationship with the organization, there's no way we would have taken him there in the first place. Not a chance.

Another factor is that this was when he was maybe 7-10(?); he's 25 now. I have little idea how the landscape has changed in the intervening 15-18 years, but this area's conservatism makes me think probably not much. I do know that the place we took him is still the 800 pound gorilla in this region, and will be for the foreseeable future. For most people around here, it's what they want- and what they expect. For a lot of folks I know, a referral to a secular service provider would be unthinkable.