View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 05:20 PM

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I got a new Benz micro a week or so ago, and can't wait to get it mounted up and find out what all the "MC" crap is about.
Tell you what, I've screwed around with the Grado Prestige series, a Supertrack III, older TOTL MM Ortofons plus a 2M Blue, and an AT 440ML...which I finally came to the conclusion was the best of the lot.

Wish I would have just bought a Denon DL-160 from the get go, would have saved a lot of money. Was always afraid of a HOMC, both of my tables have low mass arms, and I was concerned that the output wouldn't be enough.

I was wrong on both counts. Even the Dynavector on the IIIs arm works (it really shouldn't), but it's an older cartridge that weighs 9.5 grams, and by dicking with the arm (and you can dick with a IIIs arm till the cows come home) and installing a paddle in the damping trough, I'm getting pretty good sound.

It has more flesh than the Denon, but is just a touch harsh in the mids, and a touch recessed in the upper range, but it's using a tubed pre, and the Denon is SS. The Denon has more "snap".

Reckon I need to let them play for awhile, then maybe switch preamps.

I suspect you will like your Benz,
Chas