Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Far be it form me to know the answers. But I can think on no one in the US who has ever been turned away from medical care.

And, IMHO, the best thing you can do when you go to the doctor is to tell them that you have no insurance. They'll fix your ass and get you out the door.
Unfortunately, I do. The ER is one thing; they gotta take you there. But for regular admissions? Tests? Non-emergency care? The very first thing my local hospital says to anyone who shows up at the Admissions desk, is "Your insurance card, please". If you don't have one, they'll ask for your pre-approved Free Care letter. No letter? You'll be told that they take Visa, MasterCard, or cash. "May I see your card, please?"

Same with the doctor. Very first question: "Which insurance do you have?" It'd better be one that they accept. Tell them you have no insurance, or a plan they do not accept (Mom got caught in this trap one year), and it's "Sorry. We take Visa, MasterCard, or cash". And you'd better be a "regular patient". If you haven't seen him within the past year, you are considered a "new" patient... with appointments made no sooner than six months away (my Dad got caught this time). And that's IF he'll deign to re-accept you as a patient.