Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:12 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryToFindmid View Post
Thanks Don.

Yeah when I read teletype and early days of internet I thought, this fellow nerd has to be in his LATE 50s min at this point.

After reading that bio and the one post in the link I didnt really get much insight into the fellow. I didnt dive deeper yet but will do tomorrow.

I laid ALLOT out to get an idea of my mindset and view of things in this introduction.

You strike me as an intelligent person and I as someone who read a fair amount here see you clearly have a hard felt point of view.

What would you summarize Im seeing and feeling and what am I missing?
As a center leaning right individual and what Ive said thus far.

Personally I feel if we could strip away our own "personal" and "thats not right" agenda and purely look at things from a law and governmental control aspect allot more headway could be made to work out the issues at play.

Id love to read a fleshed out left leaning point of view of how this might happen. Really! Not being coy just love to compare notes and see what I might be missing.

Thanks for engaging me and I really do look forward to having an exchange. Im certain there are bright points of view that should be looked at.
That one linked post was just his 'teaser,' not the substance of what he does, which is a weekly current events summary/analysis.

I would analyze the difference between left and right as actually existing on several dimensions. Probably the most fundamental is that of values and morality. People of all cultures in general have similar moral values, but different sets of people emphasize different things. Liberals put emphasis on Caring, and Fairness. Conservatives also value these things, but may place more emphasis on Loyalty, Authority, and Purity, value dimensions that Liberals often de-emphasize or even reject.

On top of that is the dimension of ideology, a set of ideas by which people try to justify their value preferences and explain how the world works. Liberals tend to be more open to non-traditional explanations, and in some cases are open-minded and empirical in their world views; conservative more traditional and dogmatic. This is not to say that liberals can't be dogmatic!

Finally, not strictly a left/right split, but very relevant now, is the normative/corrupt dimension. I'm afraid the current administration is horribly corrupt. Dishonesty and demagogic propaganda are instruments the right has embraced, in it's current incarnation. This has made the civil give-and-take of normative politics just about impossible, which seems likely to have grave consequences. Polarization and outright hate have erupted, and civil conflict may actually become very widespread and destructive.

All this is a first gloss, at a high level of abstraction. Some parts may well be unclear. Please question and comment, we can dig deeper, expand, clarify together!
Old 06-14-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
That one linked post was just his 'teaser,' not the substance of what he does, which is a weekly current events summary/analysis.

I would analyze the difference between left and right as actually existing on several dimensions. Probably the most fundamental is that of values and morality. People of all cultures in general have similar moral values, but different sets of people emphasize different things. Liberals put emphasis on Caring, and Fairness. Conservatives also value these things, but may place more emphasis on Loyalty, Authority, and Purity, value dimensions that Liberals often de-emphasize or even reject.

On top of that is the dimension of ideology, a set of ideas by which people try to justify their value preferences and explain how the world works. Liberals tend to be more open to non-traditional explanations, and in some cases are open-minded and empirical in their world views; conservative more traditional and dogmatic. This is not to say that liberals can't be dogmatic!

Finally, not strictly a left/right split, but very relevant now, is the normative/corrupt dimension. I'm afraid the current administration is horribly corrupt. Dishonesty and demagogic propaganda are instruments the right has embraced, in it's current incarnation. This has made the civil give-and-take of normative politics just about impossible, which seems likely to have grave consequences. Polarization and outright hate have erupted, and civil conflict may actually become very widespread and destructive.

All this is a first gloss, at a high level of abstraction. Some parts may well be unclear. Please question and comment, we can dig deeper, expand, clarify together!
Thanks for the response.

And I agree with a HUGE part of what you wrote. And feel its spot on. Id simply like to flesh it out more.

And this is where I must say I wake up at 5am without my effort. My GF wakes up at 8-10am given the chance. And I sleep in when I get up at 7am. In my early mid 20s sleep never mattered. About to turn 40 within months Im seeing I catch up with my age now.

Let me respond in more meaningful depth tomorrow.

And again I thank you for engaging and talking.

The more I get to know folks here the more I feel I get it.

And please do anyone reading this look into the Dupont insane scenarios I mentioned in current events. I cant believe it.