Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Good news or bad news?

We're having an interesting problem here in the greater Cleveland area.

Some companies are doing very well. However they can't find qualified workers.

Ben Venue, an evil pharmecutical , has 200 openings on its' high tech production floor. Min yearly is 30k (plus, it's a good company to work for, I know an employee).

BUT they have only found 68 folks so far.

I'm not certain what the qualifications are. But it seems that since 'smart' people get degrees and take office jobs, the factory workers left aren't up to the task.

This is not a slam on factory workers. I heavily suspect (I've hired for entry level factory before) that 99% of their applicants are stinky workers, horrible histories, multiple firings, 'it's a nice day so I'm not coming in...'

I can't find the article and don't remember the details, but, interesting problem. I don't know the solution.

Pete
Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Area Man

How bizarre.

Remember the post I made about "creating jobs for the boneheads"?
In a city such as Cleveland, I am sure there are tons of people who need a job. But, everyone either wants to set the bar too high, or the pay too low. "Smart people" as you put it, aren't going to take those jobs for thirty grand. They would rather move to another state, or country even, to make better money. That's just how it is. So, you either "come off the dime" as they say here in the swamp, or you "Murphy Proof" the jobs, and hire a bunch of "Murphys" to do them at the lower pay.

Years ago, I recall someone back home saying;

"Everything is going to high tech. If you can't keep up with that, you'll just be screwed."
My response?
"Hope you're prepared to pay high taxes to support the coming welfare state."

Sorry, but I believe anyone who thinks we are going to build a healthy economy on demanding, high tech jobs at low wages is an imbecile. It has no hope of ever working.

Not even In Cleveland.

Dave
Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I know what you're saying, but that 30k was for the entry level jobs. When I advertised for $10/hr + benifits for an old factory type job 8-9 years ago it shut the office down on the days the ad ran. Mostly young people of course.

Long ago I was lucky enough to get a factory tour of Park Drop Forge on the east side, they were making locomotive engine camshafts (huge! awesome), they started at $18/hr + good union style bennies for good old fashioned work.

The problem was, the EPA was on them constantly, and they were also getting pressure for - 'heat' pollution.

Those jobs have been driven out of the country, they are too dirty for us wonderful clean white collar folks!

[/rant]

I don't know the answer Blue.

Pete
Old 07-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Ben Venue, an evil pharmecutical
damn evil is right, I hope there is a God just so these murders can be dealt with because sure as hell no politician will jeopardize their gravy train to make them accountable here.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:33 PM

From what I can find out about Ben Venue, they are basically a contract bottling company. Blaming them for the evils of big pharma is like blaming Sandy's old company for the evils of big tobaccy, just because they were selling them labels for Lucky's.

And they're adding positions during the recession. Don't know how the cost of living is in Cleveland, but 30K + to start, with bennies no doubt, doesn't sound all that bad to me.

I don't believe they deserve the scorn they're receiving here.

Chas
Old 07-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Abby Normal

Did I blame them for the evils of pharmaceuticals?

I blame the executives of the pharmaceuticals and yes the share holders. Hard to believe major investors aren't aware of what goes on.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Area Man

"Long ago I was lucky enough to get a factory tour of Park Drop Forge on the east side, they were making locomotive engine camshafts (huge! awesome), they started at $18/hr + good union style bennies for good old fashioned work.

The problem was, the EPA was on them constantly, and they were also getting pressure for - 'heat' pollution.

Those jobs have been driven out of the country, they are too dirty for us wonderful clean white collar folks!"

But, they're not too hot & dirty for me. Dirt, heat and sweat I can take.
It's those damned management people with their sqeaky clean polo shirts and polished shoes who think they know everything that make me nuts.

Way back in the late 70's I got to go on a field trip to USSteels McDonald Works near Youngstown. Amazing, to say the least. The "Melt Shop" where they "tapped off" the molten steel from the blast furnaces into those giant buckets was almost like hell on earth. Then we went on to the "blooming mill" and the "rolling mills"---that place stretched for about a mile down the river.
"Big Steel" shut that place down in '86. There's very little of it left now, mostly just empty fields. It is truly sad.

Dave

BTW; Heat polllution? WTF is that?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I feel it too - there are vast areas of Cleveland closed, giant buildings and machines bulldozed for scrap. Grand old Detroit is even worse.

Heat pollution - the pollution of the future. Be afraid.

Pete
Old 07-26-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I feel it too - there are vast areas of Cleveland closed, giant buildings and machines bulldozed for scrap. Grand old Detroit is even worse.

Heat pollution - the pollution of the future. Be afraid.

Pete
Well, ya skeert me.

I done went an' turnted muh air squezzer down ta help out.

Reckon they'll give me one of the Noble prizes fer helpin' ta save th' planet...jest like Big Al got???

Chas
Old 07-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Lmao!!

But sorry, you have to be a wooden boring masseuse abuser living in a 10,000 energy-inefficient sf house to qualify.

Or a Palestinian terrorist. Or a new President. Dee-peands on what'cher goin fo'.

Pete