Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Hamas is trying to impose sharia law in Gaza. They are putting women back into the stone age. They are executing people after military tribunals, in short justice is in damn short supply.

If Mexicans or Canadians were lobbing rockets across our borders, or sending in tourists wearing explosive vests and blowing themselves up in the malls, what do you suppose our reaction would be?
Isn't Hamas continually elected to power?

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to sort out my opinion on this issue.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to sort out my opinion on this issue.
They were elected once AFAIK, maybe their elections are not quite like others?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
They were elected once AFAIK, maybe their elections are not quite like others?
or maybe they are just like most others

still the people are hungry and a blockade keeps in that way
Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 AM

I can't find the original al Hayat article that refers to Sharia in Gaza but it appears that this bill was voted out of Parliament by the only three members present at the time. Apparently the Gazan Parliament has no quorum rule. President Abbas won't sign it.

John
Old 07-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Hamas is trying to impose sharia law in Gaza. They are putting women back into the stone age. They are executing people after military tribunals, in short justice is in damn short supply.

If Mexicans or Canadians were lobbing rockets across our borders, or sending in tourists wearing explosive vests and blowing themselves up in the malls, what do you suppose our reaction would be?
Over real quick. No question. Even with Obama in. With all support for the Palistinians in shreds outside of the fringe.

Quote:

They were originally elected. But that's not a panacea. We may not be in agreement over Israels actions but if Hamas was to play nice world opinion would force the Israelies to deal even if they didn't want to. Which I don't believe!

Seems like that makes Hamas pretty stupid. Or perhaps they are doing their masters bidding, which would make them evil and the electorate stupid. Or at least dupes/pawns, and not of the Israelies.

Pete
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Over real quick. No question. Even with Obama in. With all support for the Palistinians in shreds outside of the fringe.
I guess I'm the fringe then. I'll always support the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination. That doesn't mean that I support the actions of their elected government any more than I necessarily support the actions of my own government. It's a false equivalency.

John
Old 07-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I hope for nothing but the best for those poor misguided used people.

Pete
Old 07-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
or maybe they are just like most others

still the people are hungry and a blockade keeps in that way
Really? Then I wonder why they are smuggling cars through the tunnels on the Egyptian border. You would think they would be smuggling food. Then again why are the Egyptians also blocking the border? Hamas has not been tossing any rockets their way.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

They were originally elected. But that's not a panacea. We may not be in agreement over Israels actions but if Hamas was to play nice world opinion would force the Israelies to deal even if they didn't want to. Which I don't believe!

Seems like that makes Hamas pretty stupid. Or perhaps they are doing their masters bidding, which would make them evil and the electorate stupid. Or at least dupes/pawns, and not of the Israelies.

Pete
Ahmadinijad anyone?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Really? Then I wonder why they are smuggling cars through the tunnels on the Egyptian border. You would think they would be smuggling food. Then again why are the Egyptians also blocking the border? Hamas has not been tossing any rockets their way.
so Palestine is not a third world country stepped in poverty?

Then why did Turkey feel compelled to allow a ship loaded with economic aid to run a blockade? I am not arguing with you Rob, as I said I am trying to formulate an opinion on this.