Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
20 years is an awful long times, and things change. In that time, Honda went from best engineered cars in the industry, to just another appliance maker.

Btw, you didn't give the US auto industry a try. You gave Jeep a try. The US auto industry produced tens on millions of cars and trucks since then that shared no parts with that Jeep of yours.
BTW - Actually when I bought the Jeep, I gave Chrysler a try.

But nevermind that. Y'know what...US automakers put out crap for 30 years, maybe more while the Europeans and Japanese were making nice reliable vehicles, and in the case of Japanese cars, for no more money. And the US makers they knew they were selling crap. I remember hearing a former Chrysler exec in an NPR interview just come out and say, "We got in trouble because the US car industry didn't make very good cars in the 70's and 80's." All the while, anybody who bought a foreign car had to listen to the, "Out of work? Eat your Jap car." bullshit.

But in the 90's things were supposedly getting better so we gave it a shot. Never again.

When we got rid of the Grand Cherokee, we still wanted a mid-sized SUV and bought a '99 Lexus RX-300. It was less money than a comparable new Jeep, and it was the best car we ever owned. The only reason we're not still driving it is that it had almost a quarter of a million miles on it and we decided that with the price of gas we'd give the Toyota hybrid-synergy group a try. The Highlander hybrid we bought three years ago is probably the second best car we've ever owned.

We are interested in the Tesla's though. We'll see how they do over the next couple of years...and if it's good, maybe we'll go back to a US car company again.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I like quite a few imports, but won't buy them. Sometimes you have to sacrifice to support your local Union

Pete
Old 01-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Banned

Uh...OK, then.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:49 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I like quite a few imports, but won't buy them. Sometimes you have to sacrifice to support your local Union

Pete
Pete, at least Ike is straight forward, forthright with his point of view.

Yours?
Old 01-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I'm uncertain of the question :unsure: It seems valid that in a car discussion someone, anyone, should say buy American. My apologies if it can be uncomfortable. I have had friends & family in the UAW.

Pete
Old 01-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I'm uncertain of the question :unsure: It seems valid that in a car discussion someone, anyone, should say buy American. My apologies if it can be uncomfortable. I have had friends & family in the UAW.

Pete
FWIW, lots of Toyotas and Hondas are American-made, as are BMW and Mercedes.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Jigsawed

My apology Sir. Now I am certain you are not messing with unions.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The Asian cos are not UAW, at least the last I checked. Are any of the domestic German plants (I don't know)? In both cases the profit goes out of country.

Pete
Old 01-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
The Asian cos are not UAW, at least the last I checked. Are any of the domestic German plants (I don't know)? In both cases the profit goes out of country.

Pete
Nope, they all set up in the south in an effort not to deal with the UAW (Greenville, SC for BMW and Tuscaloosa, AL for Daimler). I'm not too concerned about the profit leaving the country. The cumulative wages/salaries/benefits far exceed the amount of profit sent overseas. Besides, nothing is stopping you from buying BMW or Daimler stock to help keep some of the profit here.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

Pete
OK Pete...but are you a union man or just a UAW man? I'm curious if you own any pants that aren't union shop made pants?