Good idea 3 50.00%
Bad idea 3 50.00%
Abstain 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
In other words, you're English. Everybody's gotta belong to the club, maybe not the same one, but to one. Gotta have papers when you're born, gotta have papers when you die, and ya gotta pay taxes in the meantime.

I suppose if you went far enough up the Amazon the powers that be might leave you alone, but the people who already live there might cook you up for supper.

"What's for supper, Grandpa?"

"It's you, laddie!"

Now I've got a pretty independent streak, and I don't much like people telling me what I'm gonna do...but I'm hardly an anarchist. Can't say I'd prefer to live in a Mad Max world...I like my air squezzer and easy chair too much.

To tell the truth, I think your main complaint about society and the nature of things is due to the fact that you consider yourself to be poor.

Look at it in another way. If you want an orange, can you not only afford one, but is it not easily accessible? A couple of hundred years ago even a king couldn't have an orange whenever he wanted one.

Count your blessings, and look around. You aren't truly poor, you just want more money. People really ARE starving to death in Africa.

And in closing, I'll address the dreaded chigger.

It's a little bug you can't see with the naked eye. When one of them bites you, you get a big red welt which itches like mad for a good week. Most of the time when you get into them, you wind up with several hundred bites, they prefer your feet, the backs of your knees, your crotch, and your balls. And when that happens, you are miserable for a LONG time.

They're lousy in Missouri, only good thing is they can't stand DEET. DO NOT live in a tent where there are chiggers.

Chas
I went out with the astronomy club one warm summer night in sandals and shorts, I thought the place we were headed had concrete pads to set up on. It didn't. It was an open grassy field. The next morning, my feet were so swollen up with chigger bites I couldn't get my feet into my work boots. Had to stay home for three days, nursing my feet. Miserable, miserable experience that cost me three vacation days.

I like what you said about oranges, too. It's easy to forget that people once lived short, brutal lives. And that it really wasn't all that long ago. Unfortunately, some still do. We in the "developed nations" are very fortunate, despite our grievences. I'd rather live in an apartment in Europe, North America, or the more "developed" Asian countires than a mud hut in Rwanda anytime.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-09-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I went out with the astronomy club one warm summer night in sandals and shorts, I thought the place we were headed had concrete pads to set up on. It didn't. It was an open grassy field. The next morning, my feet were so swollen up with chigger bites I couldn't get my feet into my work boots. Had to stay home for three days, nursing my feet. Miserable, miserable experience that cost me three vacation days.

I like what you said about oranges, too. It's easy to forget that people once lived short, brutal lives. And that it really wasn't all that long ago. Unfortunately, some still do. We in the "developed nations" are very fortunate, despite our grievences. I'd rather live in an apartment in Europe, North America, or the more "developed" Asian countires than a mud hut in Rwanda anytime.

Dave

Dave
I generally scratch chigger bites until they bleed and then wipe them down with lacquer thinner. It burns like hell, but it stops the itching within two or three days.

I think if you get bit enough you will eventually build up something in your bloodstream which causes them not to bite you. But I'll be damned if I'm going to use myself as a guinea pig to find out.

Chas
Old 02-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Resident octogenarian

Here it is ticks, stay on the mown part of the lot and you are pretty much free of them, but go into the edge of the woods and they will get you. Off is your friend.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Here it is ticks, stay on the mown part of the lot and you are pretty much free of them, but go into the edge of the woods and they will get you. Off is your friend.
Yep. I did a bout with Lyme Disease a few years back. Nasty, nasty illness.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Ticks don't much like me, for some reason.

There's a lot to be said for appreciating nature from the confines of a 17 footer...chiggers and ticks don't swim so good. And a 12V oscillating fan keeps the skeeters away.

Chas
Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Resident octogenarian

I am still trying to get the kitties used to me so that I can get some Fronline Flea and Tick juice on them. The big orange tom we used to have let me put it on him all the time, hell he used to follow me around the yard like a puppy.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I lived in a tent camper for awhile, so I have an idea of what I speak.

It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter, tents leak, they're full of bugs, big storms tend to destroy them, even the camper with a table and booths wore a flat spot on your ass, cooking is primitive, the bathroom facilities are primitive...it's just a primitive way to live.

Why not just purchase a small parcel of land and build a well insulated small house? Taxes and utilities will be cheap, and you'll be far more comfortable.

But don't let me ruin your fun. After you find a snake in your sleeping bag, or a bumblebee stings you on your lip early in the morning, or the whole shebang collapses in a downpour, then you can view rejoining society in a different light.

Even a week at fishing camp, where the cabins have all of the comforts of home (besides a telephone or wireless access) is about all I can stand at one time.

My old bones miss my easy chair.

Chas
This is simply an explanation of how the most fortunate of us will be living when the Oil stops flowing and becomes unaffordable due to all of the riots in Minnesota, Mexico, Libya, Algeria. Egypt, Yemen, Bahrain, Tunisia, Bahrain, Iran, etc., etc.

Last edited by mossbacked; 02-16-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Don't forget George Soros!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossbacked View Post
This is simply an explanation of how the most fortunate of us will be living when the Oil stops flowing and becomes unaffordable due to all of the riots in Minnesota, Mexico, Libya, Algeria. Egypt, Yemen, Bahrain, Tunisia, Bahrain, Iran, etc., etc.
Sorry chum, the house is all electric and local power generation is either coal or nuke. Get a life. If there is no gas we can use the golf cart.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Karl, the more I think about your idea the more I like it. I wish I would've done something similar when I was younger, it becomes impossible later.

Quote:
Sorry chum, the house is all electric and local power generation is either coal or nuke. Get a life. If there is no gas we can use the golf cart.
Radioactive waste or greenhouse gasses? Bad leftie, bad!

Pete