Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 PM

fed shutdown ?

why dont we insist the fed stop paying the bloated leaders in washington. parks and post offices and troops pay should not be first on the list of things to shutdown. all govt travel and expense accts. congressional pay,cabinet pay, and anyother totaly useless waste should go first. then stop funding any form of studies or grants. no more subsidies for drug reasearch let the drug mfg.pay for it they get all the profits so let them pay.

you can bet if the fat cats werent getting their pay & perks they would settel the budget mess fast enough.

THE NATION SHOULD STRIKE. they cant kill us all and they know it. it worked in egypt after all

eric
Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Resident octogenarian

Sounds like a plan.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I've been waiting for the stupidest statement by a member of Congress on the budget debacle. Thus far, Eric Cantor of the "We Own the Constitution" party, suggested a bill that would automatically make the House's budget bill the law of the land without subsequent Senate or White House approval.

http://www.alan.com/2011/03/30/eric-...r-white-house/

WTF????
Old 04-06-2011, 09:10 PM

First, Cantor's proposal is not applicable to THE budget, only to the temporary extension bill. Second, I believe he got the idea about a bill being "deemed" to have passed from your gal Pelosi. Third, Prez has thus far seen fit to punt on his legal responsibility to submit a budget to Congress, and lead his party to pass it in the last session of Congress, no doubt a bit of political gamesmanship. Since the Prez has abrogated his legal responsibility, as well as Executive Office responsibility by leaving Washington at this time, I really don't blame the Repubs for countering with a bit of political maneuvering of their own, which is all Cantor is up to here.

Last edited by whell; 04-06-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
First, Cantor's proposal is not applicable to THE budget, only to the temporary extension bill.
It applies specifically to HR 1, the Full Year Continuing Appropriations Act of 2011. Just like any other bill, it needs to be reconciled with the Senate and signed by the President before it becomes anything. It is not something that can automatically become law due to inaction by the Senate or the President, as Cantor is (unconstitutionally) proposing. This bill is, in effect, the House proposal for appropriating the funds needed for the remainder of FY 2011. So, yes it is the Budget for the remainder of the FY.

Quote:
Third, Prez has thus far seen fit to punt on his legal responsibility to submit a budget to Congress ...
Untrue. His FY 2011 budget proposal was submitted 14 months ago on Feb 1, 2010. (BTW, he submitted his FY 2012 budget proposal 3 weeks ago). I'm not here to defend the contents of either budget proposal, just wanting to confuse you with the facts.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/coll...=true&ycord=35

P.S. Where are you going to get your news now that Beck is leaving?

Last edited by finnbow; 04-06-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

Untrue. His FY 2011 budget proposal was submitted 14 months ago on Feb 1, 2010. (BTW, he submitted his FY 2012 budget proposal 3 weeks ago). I'm not here to defend the contents of either budget proposal, just wanting to confuse you with the facts.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/coll...=true&ycord=35

P.S. Where are you going to get your news now that Beck is leaving?
You cherry - picked my post Finn. The post in context referred to a process where the President submits a budget, and then remains engaged until it passes. Yes, he submitted the FY 2011 budget in Feb of 2010. It was never acted on by a Democrat controlled congress, and congress has been left to pass a series of temporary spending measures starting the first temp spending measure in Sept of 2010. I strongly suspect that at that time the Dems were reading the Tea (party) leaves, and decided on a "blame the Republicans" strategy that is now in full swing. If true, it demonstrates a hefty amount of cynicism on the left side of the aisle, and no real intent - not even in a "Clintonian sense" - to rein in spending or exercise needed fiscal restraint. It's also telling that the Dems have NO proposals of their own on the table to seriously tackle the debt of the deficit. Not to mentions the Prez's desire to split town, show NO leadership on the issue, and do some much needed image rehab.....er....umm...campaigning.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Area Man

The military will get paid. That's nothing but a BS political ploy devised to elicit emotion and patriotic fervor in the easily manipulated.

Pay it no attention.

Dave
Old 04-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Area Man

"P.S. Where are you going to get your news now that Beck is leaving?"

Beck is leaving? Where is he going? Hell?

Dave
Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereocuuple View Post
THE NATION SHOULD STRIKE. they cant kill us all and they know it. it worked in egypt after all

eric
I'm in. (Now, where did I put that ax handle.............)

Dave
Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I'm in. (Now, where did I put that ax handle.............)

Dave
There is a pitchfork and a hayfork in the garage.