Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:33 PM
Jigsawed

Vietnam: Who won the peace?

With Vietnam fearful of its huge neighbor and looking increasingly to US, the question is asked - Who won the peace?

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...-us-orbit.html
Old 04-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Ready

What is going on now has nothing in particular to do with the outcome of the Vietnam War, that I can see.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
With Vietnam fearful of its huge neighbor and looking increasingly to US, the question is asked - Who won the peace?

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...-us-orbit.html
IIRC the Chinese Army regularly clashed with the NVA over disputed territory on the border back in the day. Now, the Chinese incursions into South China Sea doesn't sit well with Hanoi, Manila and Tokyo.

I expect the Vietnamese want what everyone else wants, peace and freedom to make their own way in this brave new world without the big Red Machine dictating from Bejing.

It looks like commerce won the "peace".
Old 04-29-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Now, the Chinese incursions into South China Sea doesn't sit well with Hanoi, Manila and Tokyo.

I expect the Vietnamese want what everyone else wants, peace and freedom to make their own way in this brave new world without the big Red Machine dictating from Bejing.

This was a big part of the discussions between Obama and Abe yesterday.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:47 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
This was a big part of the discussions between Obama and Abe yesterday.
'Tis a problem, no doubt. The communist Chinese are in the ascendant and given their recent history in the latter 20th century, it isn't going to be pretty. Maybe that's what the TPP is all about?

Meh, all above my paygrade and I hope I've shuffled off this mortal coil before the shit hits the fan. I'm too damn close to the Naval Weapons Center in Seal Beach.

Last edited by bobabode; 04-29-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
What is going on now has nothing in particular to do with the outcome of the Vietnam War, that I can see.
Yes.

As a matter of fact I think the North Vietamese were more aligned with the USSR than China, a traditional rival going back centuries. I think there was even a short term conflict with China in 1979 that lasted about 5 minutes.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Yes.

As a matter of fact I think the North Vietnamese were more aligned with the USSR than China, a traditional rival going back centuries. I think there was even a short term conflict with China in 1979 that lasted about 5 minutes.
Yes, there was. I think China was going to try to "pull a Tibet" on Vietnam while the latter was distracted in Cambodia.

The Vietnamese at one time long ago were more or less a Chinese colony and the Viet people never forgot. In fact, a goodly proportion of the Vietnamese "boat people" were ethnic Chinese. After the war and the reunification of Vietnam, the Vietnamese government and people gave the Chinese minority a hard time.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
IIRC the Chinese Army regularly clashed with the NVA over disputed territory on the border back in the day. Now, the Chinese incursions into South China Sea doesn't sit well with Hanoi, Manila and Tokyo.

Vietnam like many others in the area is seeking the US shield. For Vietnam in particular that is ironic but understandable.

To the extent that the new Vietnam seeks to heavily identify culturally with the US, then one can say that the US has won the peace.

In hindsight the Vietnam war was not necessary; American cultural pull is too strong.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Vietnam like many others in the area is seeking the US shield. For Vietnam in particular that is ironic but understandable.

To the extent that the new Vietnam seeks to heavily identify culturally with the US, then one can say that the US has won the peace.

In hindsight the Vietnam war was not necessary; American cultural pull is too strong.
No truer words have been said, old friend. What a waste of 58,000 young Americans and countless Vietnamese.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:42 PM

And Ho Chi Minh approached the U.S. for assistance first, before it all went south.

We told him to take a hike.

Hindsight is whatever.