Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:14 PM

OWS now twice as popular as Tea Party.

Or so this poll says.

http://www.businessinsider.com/occup...-party-2011-10

I have to say that I've talked to a LOT of people about OWS, and although some don't want to get involved, most I have talked to say they are glad it's happening many have said they hope it gets so big that our lives change for the better..

I talked a lot to people about the Tea party too, and most the people thought it was cool people were doing something, but they weren't happy that it was more of the same.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:02 PM

Makes sense to me.

More people hate Wall Street, Big Corporations and mistrust the ultra wealthy then our dysfunctional Government would be my guess.

One may argue the the two are interconnected. Especially now after the Citizens United decision pretty much open the flood gates for corporations to buy a Government to their liking.

Barney
Old 10-13-2011, 04:07 PM

I've been to several Tea Party rallies, and always had a good time. I must admit that I felt a little funny carrying a protest sign for the first time in my life at 50. It seems like the OWS protesters need some better organization. While there was no "leader" at any of the TEA rallies I went to, there was organization. They always had some speakers, either radio/TV personalities or politicians, and there were always "facilities" (port-o-potties). There were also plenty of cops, but no riot gear at all, and all the ones I met were very polite and respectful. I think any time Americans get up and make an effort to be heard, it's fantastic. I don't have to agree with someone to applaud them for taking advantage of our freedoms and standing up for what they believe in. The people that drive me insane are the ones that just sit on the couch and wait for the government to rescue them.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
While there was no "leader" at any of the TEA rallies I went to, there was organization. They always had some speakers, either radio/TV personalities or politicians, and there were always "facilities" (port-o-potties). There were also plenty of cops, but no riot gear at all, and all the ones I met were very polite and respectful. I think any time Americans get up and make an effort to be heard, it's fantastic. I don't have to agree with someone to applaud them for taking advantage of our freedoms and standing up for what they believe in. The people that drive me insane are the ones that just sit on the couch and wait for the government to rescue them.

Any organization at the TP events were supplied by Dick Armey and the Koch brothers.

Barney
Old 10-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Jigsawed

The Tea Party like "Contract With America" gave the house to the repubs, thus hobbling a dem president. The tea baggers with all their noise are really about mid term strategy....a small dedicated band of repubs can effect political change at mid term because at such time the dems usually do not turn out.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Do the OWS folks have any candidates in mind that would help to make the changes they desire?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:02 PM

Nope, that's the beauty of OWS, they don't support any politicians and are doing all they can to keep any politician or party from co-opting them. Anonymous is prodding OWS to create a completely new party with new faces.

I think that's a fine idea. New party with people that have the ability to become a politician that has the country and not their pockets in their best interest.

The only way I see anything changing.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Do the OWS folks have any candidates in mind that would help to make the changes they desire?
Make a suggestion Dogman, you're part of the 99%.

I know, how about Herman Cain???

Chas
Old 10-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simi View Post
Nope, that's the beauty of OWS, they don't support any politicians and are doing all they can to keep any politician or party from co-opting them. Anonymous is prodding OWS to create a completely new party with new faces.

I think that's a fine idea. New party with people that have the ability to become a politician that has the country and not their pockets in their best interest.

The only way I see anything changing.
A new party sounds good to me too. From the little I know about what it would take to form a viable new party, at least the timing could be good. It seems real change has the best chance when people (Americans in this case) are pissed off, and I think we can all agree that lots of Americans are sick and tried of the status quo. Just look at Congress' approval ratings among either party. That said, "attempts" at new parties can have unintended and dreadful consequences. Just think if the TEA Party hadn't fallen in with the Republicans at least for the presidential race. We would surely end up with 4 more years of Obama, if they had a candidate capable of splitting the conservative vote. I don't think any of us, or America in general could afford that.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:13 PM

I've been floored by how outta touch Cain is with the 99%. That man seems to be on another planet... He cost himself any chance he might of had.