Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Free Speech

Should free speech on corporate property be more limited than speech on public property? If it should, what kinds of limitations should there be? Should outdoor areas open to the public -which are nevertheless still corporate- be treated differently from, for example, small indoor confined spaces such as offices? How so?

Watch the below video for a few minutes from 1:20 to get an entertaining idea of what I am talking about ->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNscBk0n9lc

Who was right in the video? Is there a middle ground to be found? Is this kind of free speech covered in the Constitution? Should it be a human right? Was the police officer wrong to try and stop the megaphone guy from speaking in this particular situation?

Last edited by Brother_Karl; 02-09-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Karl View Post
Should free speech on corporate property be more limited than speech on public property? If it should, what kinds of limitations should there be? Should outdoor areas open to the public -which are nevertheless still corporate- be treated differently from, for example, small indoor confined spaces such as offices? How so?

Watch the below video for a few minutes from 1:20 to get an entertaining idea of what I am talking about ->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNscBk0n9lc

Who was right in the video? Is there a middle ground to be found? Is this kind of free speech covered in the Constitution? Should it be a human right? Was the police officer wrong to try and stop the megaphone guy from speaking in this particular situation?
The bald headed guy was right, he's a fucking loud mouth.

Chas
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Freedom of speech is about the right to express your ideas, not one's ability to be a loudmouth prick. This guy is a loudmouth prick and was disturbing the peace. Somebody should have shoved that thing down his throat.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 PM

The internet provided novel ways for the least common denominators among us to have their 5 minutes of fame.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Freedom of speech is about the right to express your ideas, not one's ability to be a loudmouth prick. This guy is a loudmouth prick and was disturbing the peace. Somebody should have shoved that thing down his throat.
There's some cops you wouldn't want to pull that shit on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWNE54RJIL4

Chas
Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Area Man

Are all British cops that nice? You should see what happens when people smart off to the police here in "the Land of the Brave." Before you do---I hope your health insurance is paid up. You'll be needing it.

A friend once told me;
"If you want to learn the definition of asshole, just pin a badge on a redneck."

Dave
Old 02-10-2011, 02:33 AM

So, the video aside, does everyone agree that on all corporate property (including such corporate property as the stone steps that megaphone guy was standing on) people shouldnt be entitled to the same free speech rights as they have on public property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
This guy is a loudmouth prick and was disturbing the peace.
How so?

Last edited by Brother_Karl; 02-10-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Resident octogenarian

Your freedom of speech is whatever I decide it should be on my property, I imagine corporations have the same right.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Karl View Post
So, the video aside, does everyone agree that on all corporate property (including such corporate property as the stone steps that megaphone guy was standing on) people shouldnt be entitled to the same free speech rights as they have on public property?

How so?
By being a friggin' loudmouth a$$hole.

Let's say you're finally able to buy a small piece of property and build your idyllic cabin in the woods. Does someone, in the name of free speech, have the right to set up in your front yard and yell shit through a megaphone (particularly after you've told them to stop)?

Or in the name of free speech, should you be allowed to go into your local pub and repeat anything you hear through a megaphone while other patrons are trying to relax (after the pub owner has told you to cease and desist)? How about in a movie theater? In a church?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 AM

Noise pollution.

I you need a megaphone to make your case, then you can't make a case in the first place.

Chas