Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Pharma companies suck ass

So I find something I like, its healthier for me then smokes. And the rat bastards have their fingers gripped firmly around our gooberments nuts.

That means we get screwed again.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/09/bar...eff-stier.html

Aholes...
Old 03-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Area Man

Ever notice your Pharmacy also sells tobacco products?
A connection, Perhaps?

I live near tobacco country. In Va, and NC they used to say "Tobacco is King." Two of the largest employers in this part of the country are Phillip Morris and Reynolds. These people hated Clinton for his attacks on the tobacco industry. He was trying use economic pressure to make people want to quit, (And collect more tax revenue, of course.). I would say it's working, I know a lot of people including you, Dave who are desperately trying to quit.

The other side is going to try and un-do this because there is something to be said about a system that is set up to sell you shit that makes you sick, and then sell you more shit that (might) cure the sickness.--------There is a whole lot of money in it.

Kind of a "sickening" thought, isn't it?

Regards,
Dave

Dave
Old 03-12-2010, 01:02 PM

I seriously doubt if the FDA gives a shit whether you live or die. The sole function of that branch of Govt. is to ensure that cheaper drugs and medical practices are not allowed to cross the borders for any reason. They are bribed ( I mean Lobbied) handsomely for their efforts I'm sure.

BTW +1 on Pharmas suck.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Having been addicted to cigarettes myself, I have a great deal of sympathy for people who struggle with abstinence. I have a little less sympathy for people who look for less harmful (but still harmful) means of indulging their habit. I think "smokeless" tobacco and e-cigarettes are examples of that.

The FDA is really in sort of a bind here. They're faced with the problem of approving a harmful product on the basis of it's being less harmful than the product it's designed to mimic and/or replace. That, in my opinion, is a devil's bargain of the first order.

I think you'd have to prove that the vast majority of the users of these products would give up cigarettes and switched to the newer products before you could argue effectively for their approval. If they just ended up primarily "recruiting" new customers the overall public health effects would be negative. The FDA would have trouble with that one.

John
Old 03-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Resident octogenarian

I'm with rick about the function of the FDA and with Dave. Big pharma's sole purpose in life is to create drugs with side effects worse than the disease (Vioxx) and jack up prices at 3 x the rate of inflation.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I'm with rick about the function of the FDA and with Dave. Big pharma's sole purpose in life is to create drugs with side effects worse than the disease (Vioxx) and jack up prices at 3 x the rate of inflation.
Yeh, but they also make drugs to treat the side effects.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Having been addicted to cigarettes myself, I have a great deal of sympathy for people who struggle with abstinence. I have a little less sympathy for people who look for less harmful (but still harmful) means of indulging their habit. I think "smokeless" tobacco and e-cigarettes are examples of that.

The FDA is really in sort of a bind here. They're faced with the problem of approving a harmful product on the basis of it's being less harmful than the product it's designed to mimic and/or replace. That, in my opinion, is a devil's bargain of the first order.

I think you'd have to prove that the vast majority of the users of these products would give up cigarettes and switched to the newer products before you could argue effectively for their approval. If they just ended up primarily "recruiting" new customers the overall public health effects would be negative. The FDA would have trouble with that one.

John
Sorry but the FDA is not in any bind at all. Its about dollars. For the government and pharma companies. Plain and simple.

How many smokers are in this country ? Lets just say 50 mil for a nice round number. How much does a pack of smokes cost ? On average lets say 5 bucks a pack. According to the guy I buy my smokes from the cost of a pack of smokes without tax, the part that goes to the tobacco companies is less then 2 bucks a pack. We'll say 2 a pack just for a nice round number.

So the other 3 ( its closer to 4 in Mi and much higher in most states ) goes to the government. That 150 mil a day going in to the tax coffers. The goobs dont want anyone to quit or they lose their golden goose.

As a smoker I am sick and tired of being told to quit. Lets say we all do Whose gonna come up with that 5.2 bil a year feeding the states and feds have been suckling on ?

They cannot afford for us to quit. Its simple economics.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Sorry but the FDA is not in any bind at all. Its about dollars. For the government and pharma companies. Plain and simple.

How many smokers are in this country ? Lets just say 50 mil for a nice round number. How much does a pack of smokes cost ? On average lets say 5 bucks a pack. According to the guy I buy my smokes from the cost of a pack of smokes without tax, the part that goes to the tobacco companies is less then 2 bucks a pack. We'll say 2 a pack just for a nice round number.

So the other 3 ( its closer to 4 in Mi and much higher in most states ) goes to the government. That 150 mil a day going in to the tax coffers. The goobs dont want anyone to quit or they lose their golden goose.

As a smoker I am sick and tired of being told to quit. Lets say we all do Whose gonna come up with that 5.2 bil a year feeding the states and feds have been suckling on ?

They cannot afford for us to quit. Its simple economics.
I agree with you 100%.

IMHO, the only thing the uplifers enjoy more than telling others how they should live is stealing their money.

What we need is an uplifer tax...and a damn steep one, to boot. That's one tax I would go out and campaign for. By the same token, there should be a tax credit for minding your own damn business.

Chas
Old 03-12-2010, 05:08 PM

I was gonna try that vaping deal myself. Been pricing some joy 510s on the net.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Administrator

You would really like it jay. I am puffing away on mine right now and enjoy it very much ! If you have any questions ill try to answer em.