Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Ready

Man shot on video, cop acquitted

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...208-story.html

Watch the video. They screamed a string of orders at a terrified man. They screamed threats to kill him. Repeatedly. Any reasonable person would expect he'd become too stressed and confused to comply perfectly. So they shot him.

Jury would not convict on manslaughter. Should have, in my opinion.

They had no reasonable reason to be so crazy tactical with this guy. All they had was someone reporting seeing a rifle. No shots had been fired, he didn't have the rifle when he came out of the room, and he hadn't said one threatening word.

All the threatening words came from the cops. Including the ones engraved on the shooter's gun. "You're fucked," it said.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:05 AM

I watched the video and law enforcement made it very clear that if he diid not do exactly as they said he would get shot. Sure, he was scared and stressed..... so was the other person who was held by law enforcement and complied without getting shot.

No doubt the whole thing was tragic but after looking at the Video I can understand why a jury decided as they did.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:36 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Surely there was an alternative course of action. Pepper spray? Taser?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:09 AM

Don't know just how I would of voted if on the jury. But loos like manslaughter so far.

Like I tell myself and others in case of interaction with Police. Keep your mouth shut eyes down. Comply completely. You can't talk your way out of going to jail, that is what Lawyers are for. Most all of the time when you do you end up hurt.

This fellow should of just laid down with his arms out and not moved. The Police should of been trained to handle this better IMHO! But you give AR15 tactical training, gear and something happens in the brain.

Barney
Old 12-10-2017, 08:39 AM

In this country we are free men and women. Why should we automatically become sniveling wormlike creatures the minute someone in "authority" tells us to? Without any apparent reason for doing so? Have we become so authoritarian that we now just automatically prostrate ourselves to any "authority" figure screaming on command?

We're allowing "authority" much to much control over our lives in this country. That's bullshit and exactly how freedom is lost forever.

Last edited by MrPots; 12-10-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
I watched the video and law enforcement made it very clear that if he diid not do exactly as they said he would get shot. Sure, he was scared and stressed..... so was the other person who was held by law enforcement and complied without getting shot.

No doubt the whole thing was tragic but after looking at the Video I can understand why a jury decided as they did.
She wasn't as drunk and her pants weren't coming off? She was lucky.

This was like a field sobriety test, with screaming and death threats thrown in, and summary execution the penalty for failure.

As I said, I don't see the justification for full tactical response to this guy. They treated him like he was a proven psycho killer. All they had was a phoned-in report of seeing a gun. Not a report of shooting, and they had seen and heard nothing wrong.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Ready

It is wrong to make any fear event that happens in a cops mind, or that is said to have happened, the justification for summary execution. What we see here is the result. We have to claw our way back from this place.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
In this country we are free men and women. Why should we automatically become sniveling wormlike creatures the minute someone in "authority" tells us to? Without any apparent reason for doing so? Have we become so authoritarian that we now just automatically prostrate ourselves to any "authority" figure screaming on command?

We're allowing "authority" much to much control over our lives in this country. That's bullshit and exactly how freedom is lost forever.
Ever had a weapon pointed at you?
Does not matter if it is a "good guy" or a "bad one", same reaction applies. Shut up, eyes down, comply.

Being a JW only works in the movies a vast majority of the time.

Barney
Old 12-10-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
She wasn't as drunk and her pants weren't coming off? She was lucky.

This was like a field sobriety test, with screaming and death threats thrown in, and summary execution the penalty for failure.

As I said, I don't see the justification for full tactical response to this guy. They treated him like he was a proven psycho killer. All they had was a phoned-in report of seeing a gun. Not a report of shooting, and they had seen and heard nothing wrong.

I believe the full tactical response was because someone reported the man had a long gun of some sort.
Given recent occurrences and the location, I am not surprised they responded that way.
It was not like a sobriety test at all. The officers were responding to what was described to them as a man with a weapon in an area where there could be many potential victims.
I think the incident is tragic but I agree with Oerets, when there is a gun pointed at you, comply completely.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:53 PM
Ready

It is not even illegal to 'have a long gun.' And this happened back in Jan 2016, long before the attack in Las Vegas you are thinking of, so Las Vegas freakout is not an excuse. Absent actual observed lawbreaking, they were out-of-line, imho.

He was trying to comply as best he could.

What would have been so bad about getting him spread-eagled and motionless, and then going to him? Why this 'crawl to me' domination ritual? Cop mentality looks like a sickness, I kid you not.