Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The jury convicted both of the Hammonds of using fire to destroy federal property for a 2001 arson known as the Hardie-Hammond Fire, locWitnesses at trial, including a relative of the Hammonds, testified the arson occurred shortly after Steven Hammond and his hunting party illegally slaughtered several deer on BLM property. Jurors were told that Steven Hammond handed out “Strike Anywhere” matches with instructions that they be lit and dropped on the ground because they were going to “light up the whole country on fire.” One witness testified that he barely escaped the eight to ten foot high flames caused by the arson. The fire consumed 139 acres of public land and destroyed all evidence of the game violations. After committing the arson, Steven Hammond called the BLM office in Burns, Oregon and claimed the fire was started on Hammond property to burn off invasive species and had inadvertently burned onto public lands. Dwight and Steven Hammond told one of their relatives to keep his mouth shut and that nobody needed to know about the fire.

http://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/ea...e-years-prison

It puzzles me why some believe that the Hammonds' sentences were excessive in light of the above.

He survived by diving into a creek and staying submerged until the fire all around him burned itself out so the asshole Hammonds are damned lucky they didn't have to face manslaughter or negligent homicide charges too.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:02 PM

DJ, thanks for this thread. Sorry for derailing it.

Your video seems to be a condensed version of a longer one that's available on YouTube in 4 segments. Here's a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1e...E6TEWpv71wGbTM

If the Loess Plateau can be restored, then I have to think anything can be.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
I'm not sure.

I've posted before how they've made desertification their #1 priority.
They, like most of the world (& myself), believe the only way to battle carbon is to sequester it back in the ground & bring the air/ground % back into balance. They also need to eat which tends to sway their priorities.
And, that IS the rub. I watched it play out in Ohio after the EPA basically condemned the aged and heavy polluting mills there 1975. It wasn't pretty. They're STILL cleaning up the mess.

But I saw with my own eyes, land where nothing would grow, dead fish strewn along riverbanks, air so think with metal particulates you could taste it. Something HAD to be done.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

Your video seems to be a condensed version of a longer one that's available on YouTube in 4 segments. Here's a link.

Cool! I learned of the project from Geoff Lawton just last night. I'll check it out since I'm done working today.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

That was a great series. What a fantastic job getting everyone on board to work so hard & to have faith it was going to work.