Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
...Why do I think our entire financial system is basically an ill-constructed pile of pebbles, & if the ONE pebble somehow becomes dislodged, the whole thing comes a-tumblin' down, like the Walls of Jericho ?
Because it is?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:09 AM

Bingo, Buddy !! We have a Winna...Unfortunately....(grimace..)
Old 11-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Resident octogenarian

Well old friend I have long contended that our mortgage system was designed by thieves for thieves and I don't suppose Wall Street is any better.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Yeah, I keep hearing about that one, too...They all talk about it in darkly ominous tones, like its gonna make the housing mess look like a Sunday-School picnic...Why do I think our entire financial system is basically an ill-constructed pile of pebbles, & if the ONE pebble somehow becomes dislodged, the whole thing comes a-tumblin' down, like the Walls of Jericho ?
Right now, it would appear to me that all of the pebbles are in motion.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Right now, it would appear to me that all of the pebbles are in motion.
Believe it or not, I'm not as negative as some of you.

The system stinks, to be sure. You can draw your conclusions from the Keynes camp, or the Ludwig von Mises camp, or from a combination of the two.

But either are economic theorys. Economic reality is that if peoples faith in the economic system fails, the system will collapse. And we're in too deep to fold.

I figure that the big boys will keep the big wheel a'spinnin". Not the 1st time that society has stared into the abyss.

Just look at the alternative.

Chas
Old 11-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Believe it or not, I'm not as negative as some of you.

The system stinks, to be sure. You can draw your conclusions from the Keynes camp, or the Ludwig von Mises camp, or from a combination of the two.

But either are economic theorys. Economic reality is that if peoples faith in the economic system fails, the system will collapse. And we're in too deep to fold.

I figure that the big boys will keep the big wheel a'spinnin". Not the 1st time that society has stared into the abyss.

Just look at the alternative.

Chas
Oh, I agree 100%, Charles. If I really was as morose about the economy as I sometimes can appear to be, would I have gone out and bought a $36,000 car a month and a half ago? No. I'm not THAT stupid. I'm a bluecollar kind of guy, but I have investments and believe it or not, am on pretty solid financial ground. Few people that I know personally have used the system as successfully as I have. The irony of it is that most of my friends who are in dire straights right now, or close to it, are Republicans. The reason they are so upset about anyone tinkering with the economy is because they are the ones who are teetering on the brink.

I don't hate capitalism, I just think it could better serve everyone, if it was used more responsibly. That if we left capitalists solely to their own devices, they would suck the system dry and leave the rest of us with nothing. And, unfortunately, only strong government can prevent that, IMHO.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-15-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Oh, I agree 100%, Charles. If I really was as morose about the economy as I sometimes can appear to be, would I have gone out and bought a $36,000 car a month and a half ago? No. I'm not THAT stupid. I'm a bluecollar kind of guy, but I have investments and believe it or not, am on pretty solid financial ground. Few people that I know personally have used the system as successfully as I have. The irony of it is that most of my friends who are in dire straights right now, or close to it, are Republicans. The reason they are so upset about anyone tinkering with the economy is because they are the ones who are teetering on the brink.

I don't hate capitalism, I just think it could better serve everyone, if it was used more responsibly. That if we left capitalists solely to their own devices, they would suck the system dry and leave the rest of us with nothing. And, unfortunately, only strong government can prevent that, IMHO.

Dave
The problem is that the corporations and the money people don't really want a free market. They want to manipulate the market to their advantage. An economist appearing on NPR today discussed how the Insurance companies and medical providers have essentially taken turns gaining monopoly power in the local markets to rig the price for medical services. One insurer who can deliver 60K members to a hospital can negotiate cheap services, which the hospitals make up for with the smaller insurers and individuals. To "balance the field" the medical providers consolidated and held out for the prices they wanted. The insurance companies pass that cost on to the consumers, who have no leverage.

In the Kansas City area, there are essentially two providers who control health services in the city, Health Midwest and Shawnee Mission. Whith that type of concentration, there is essentially no free market to control prices. Every year when it comes time for my firm to renew insurance, it's not whether it will cost us more, but how much more it will cost us. Because of the health history of some in the firm, no one but the present provider will take us, so we have no choice except to pay or go naked.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
The problem is that the corporations and the money people don't really want a free market. They want to manipulate the market to their advantage. An economist appearing on NPR today discussed how the Insurance companies and medical providers have essentially taken turns gaining monopoly power in the local markets to rig the price for medical services. One insurer who can deliver 60K members to a hospital can negotiate cheap services, which the hospitals make up for with the smaller insurers and individuals. To "balance the field" the medical providers consolidated and held out for the prices they wanted. The insurance companies pass that cost on to the consumers, who have no leverage.

In the Kansas City area, there are essentially two providers who control health services in the city, Health Midwest and Shawnee Mission. Whith that type of concentration, there is essentially no free market to control prices. Every year when it comes time for my firm to renew insurance, it's not whether it will cost us more, but how much more it will cost us. Because of the health history of some in the firm, no one but the present provider will take us, so we have no choice except to pay or go naked.

Regards,

D-Ray
This is one of the things that has always puzzled me. Come July 4th everyone drags out the red,white and blue bunting. They stand with hand over heart and sing the national anthem. The other 363 days it is the Balkan States of America.

I realize that States Rights are a touchy area, but are we a single nation or are we fifty states? On this very fancy form I have it concludes "that such person is admitted as a citizen of the United States of America" it says nowt about me being a citizen of Maryand.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:46 AM

Don't go talkin' 'bout States' Rights...WE lost a little argument over THAT one 145 years ago..
Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post

Regards,

D-Ray
Haven't noticed any lobbyists being overly concerned with making sure that Ol' Chas gets a square deal.

Isn't corporatism grand???

Chas