Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-31-2022, 10:05 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I did not use affect instead of effect. I used affective instead of effective. Grammatically, either of the last two words would work in my sentence. I use the word that conveyed the meaning I wished to convey. So you are correct, it is a matter of definition. But you are wrong in thinking I used the wrong word.
Don't recall using the word wrong ... checked and I didn't. I answered the question in your quote -
"Affective vs. Effective: What's the Difference? - Grammarly"

Doesn't your double negative make me right?

Why do you keep trying to guess what I'm thinking?

Last edited by nailer; 04-01-2022 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Buffalo police officers plead not guilty to assaulting 75-year-old man at demonstration

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/06/us/bu...man/index.html

Multiple videos clearly show that they assaulted the man, yet they are protected by FAR too many rules. This needs to change. Cops in this country need to be held accountable for their actions, just as you and I are (unless we're wealthy and white).
I'm not arguing this...but I need to make this point...

I would say that most Americans, granted without really thinking about it at all, want cops who have a defect in their personality that will allow them, in certain specific circumstances, to not hesitate to take out a gun and shoot somebody in the chest. This isn't, and should never be considered to be, anything but a characterological flaw in any human being. But we want to believe that our cops should have this flaw while not having any of the other negative personality defects related to the treatment of other human beings that automatically exist in anybody who has this flaw.

The ability to objectify another human being, to dismiss their humanity, see them only as an object that is less than human, and end their life without hesitation, does not correspond to being able to turn it on and off like a faucet.

It's why people like Carlos Hathcock and Chris Kyle were monsters.

“You don’t think of the people you kill as people, they’re just targets. You can’t think of them as people with families and jobs." - Chris Kyle

Objectification on steroids, that's Chris Kyle and Derek Chauvin and Daniel Pantaleo and Jason Van Dyke.

It's also the other Kyle...Kyle Rittenhouse. Grab your gun Kyle...get out there in the street and find some subhumans to shoot...you fucking monster.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:21 AM

Ike, you make a good point. But, as a counter point, I think there are people who don't have character flaws who could, and would, pull a trigger if provoked. I'm thinking of the person defending the life of their loved ones or of themselves. I'm not a strong person, and I don't like guns all that much, but, if it came down to defending myself or my family, I would do what I had to. I don't think I'm so different from others in that regard.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Ike, you make a good point. But, as a counter point, I think there are people who don't have character flaws who could, and would, pull a trigger if provoked. I'm thinking of the person defending the life of their loved ones or of themselves. I'm not a strong person, and I don't like guns all that much, but, if it came down to defending myself or my family, I would do what I had to. I don't think I'm so different from others in that regard.
I agree. In a case of someone else's life or me and mine I vote for mine every time. Whatever sorry situation that brings someone else to the point of endangering my life it doesn't outweigh my desire to walk on the daisies versus pushing them up. Now in the case of taking a life without justification I just ain't built that way.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:30 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Here in Ohio law abiding citizens can now defend themselves from the police state and or bad guys - we can concealed carry with no permit at all if we allowed to own a gun. Brand new law.

Maybe a 15 minute gun safety class wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:40 PM
Rational Anarchist

Although it might be for the best not to teach them how to load it and pull the trigger.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:47 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
13-year-old, autistic, unarmed, shot running from cops.

Mother, who had called for help, had advised them of his condition.

Apparently, 'all lives matter' does not include autistic lives. Apparently some people need specific instruction in every case, ie, 'autistic lives matter.'

But now I'm reminded that the Nazis thought different, and had a program of euthanasia for the disabled.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hou...f-15548091.php
The victim, named Michael Cameron, fortunately survived. The DA brought no charges against the cop who shot him. The family filed a lawsuit, but it looks like it will be dismissed. The outrageous 'Qulaified Immunity' strikes again.

https://kjzz.com/news/slc-files-moti...er-with-autism
Old 04-18-2022, 07:51 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Here in Ohio law abiding citizens can now defend themselves from the police state and or bad guys - we can concealed carry with no permit at all if we allowed to own a gun. Brand new law.

Maybe a 15 minute gun safety class wouldn't be a bad idea.
Defending yourself against the police is very iffy, as far as the aftermath. You will have to prove the cop was trying to kill you or someone you are entitled to protect, with malice and no conceivable justification.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:32 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Yeah pull a gun on a cop you'll get shot.

If you live you can try the 'Clapton Defense'

Pete
Old 04-19-2022, 07:05 PM
Ready

You mean point out that you didn't shoot the deputy?