Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Area Man

You got that right. And all involved in this case are juveniles. Kids. We got into fist fights, snowball fights, even played "War" once as a teenager----with pelletguns. But even as stupid and dangerous as that was, it did not carry the outright malice that deliberately torching someone does. Sad, profoundly sad indeed.

Dave
Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
It is pathetic, the way people make assumptions without checking their facts.
The kid did not live in this gated community, he was from Miami, visiting someone here while suspended from school.
And no, sorry, it's not justified to attack someone because they are following you. It IS justified to shoot someone if they have punched you in the face and are on top of you using your head for a jackhammer.
This may be the most ignorant post I have ever read here.

I know most you guys love your guys but this kid was MURDERED by a typical gun owner. (typical from my experiences, I know their are some responsible gun owns)
Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
...prisons are full of good old boys who just made a mistake, there are people out there who will kill you out of boredom.

And that IS a fact, and one which I consider beyond debate.
Except it's completely inaccurate.

1. Prisons are filled with criminals who wouldn't BE in prison if drugs were legalized.

2. Those who would kill out of boredom choose victims of ease. Bottom line? Predators, not yawners.

Here's the rub: Zimmerman had a gun, not something personal like a shiv, shank, knife, car antenna, rock, brass knuckles or ice pick.

And, if he DID have one of those (regardless of who caused the engagement), the kid would have been able to disengage unless the ad hoc neighborhood watchman knew just where to hit a man the FIRST time.

Reality? No gun = no death.

Unless you're saying puffy wannabe boy is a stone cold killer.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
it's not justified to attack someone because they are following you. It IS justified to shoot someone if they have punched you in the face and are on top of you using your head for a jackhammer.
100% correct.

Now, prove that happened.

But that's not really what matters to me.

I am willing to accept that the big white guy acted the fool (or not). I am willing to accept that the smaller black kid may have gotten belligerent (or not).

What caused death?

A gun in the situation.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Admin

The HOA should've hired security guards instead of allowing a member to be the self appointed bad ass. That'll be their downfall. I hope the kids Dad razes the development after winning a civil judgement. It'll be a slam dunk civil case.
The board of dipshits there knew what was up and allowed it to continue. Even if that prick doesn't go to jail the HOA is going to lose and lose big.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Once again there was no real reason for Obama to weigh in on the situation. He likely inflamed the situation by his "look like my son" comment. He could have simply asked for calm and noted the tragedy of the situation, rather than polarize the situation. Sometimes I wonder how he makes such obvious errors.
Are you sure it was an error and not deliberate?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Don't you think that there is a SLIGHT difference between a neighborhood watch committee which hasn't "registered" and a group of vigilantes?

To tell the truth, I didn't realize a neighborhood watch committee had to be registered.

But I'm from Bugtussell, and big city ways are foreign to us. The whole community is a neighborhood watch committee, and no one wants to make an ass of themselves by pestering the cops.

Perhaps you don't understand, being from a great city and all, but we're still pretty close to "Andy of Mayberry" around here.

I still don't lock my doors, although a lot of people do. Times as changing.

Besides, everyone is armed to the teeth, and the police don't have a problem with that, unless you're a derelict. Actually, they consider it to be a positive thing. And we haven't "lynched" anyone for close to 100 yrs.

Chas
Chas, I think there is a great deal of difference between neighborhood watch and neighborhood vigilante. But in this particular case, because of the actions of Zimmerman, the line has between the two has been stretched thin.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Chas, I think there is a great deal of difference between neighborhood watch and neighborhood vigilante. But in this particular case, because of the actions of Zimmerman, the line has between the two has been stretched thin.
Well...we could be good American citizens and add another $10 K to the amount already promised for zimmermans capture. How's that line for ya?
Ole cowboy justice????

We need to get all the facts.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Loyal Opposition

All of us are capable of allowing our own cultural/political/social biases to affect our perception of the facts. It is quite possible that what happened here is that the data set from which Zimmerman operated created a belief that an African American kid in a hoodie was up to no good. That is reflected in his call to the police. It will probably be up to the grand jury to determine whether the chain of events that occurred thereafter amounted to criminal conduct.

Zimmerman and his attorney will have a tough choice in deciding whether to invoke the Fifth Amendment if he is called before the grand jury. If he doesn't testify, he doesn't have the defense. If he does testify, he might say something he wished he hadn't.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 AM

What is somehow getting lost in the discussion is the fact the local PD told Zimmerman to basically stand down they would handle it. Failing to do that he followed Trayvon and confronted him if the phone calls and timeline are correct. Trayvon fearing for his life as the facts now show to be correct, then fought back but without a gun lost.

Zimmerman's father being a retired judge and the fact both are well known by local PD might have some to do with the sloppy police work in this case.

How would it be any different with this new law in effect to chase a thief out of your home, running them down and shooting them when stopped? Once the treat is removed were is the justification to go further?

Barney