Old 05-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Admin

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/topoftheticket/
Old 05-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Since you insist on drawing a false comparison, here's the critical difference:

Why did the GOP senators demand the investigation? What did the NAACP and Julian Bond do that opened the door to IRS scrutiny? Simple: the NAACP is incorporated under a tax-code section 501(c)(3) - reserved for charities, educational institutions and religious organizations - that prohibits participation in a political campaign or political activities for or against a particular candidate. The NAACP distributed material at one of its conventions that was critical of the president - specifically the president - and several of his administration's policies. At that same convention, Julian Bond also made statements critical of the President and his policies. The senators believed that this activity was in violation of tax law, and following an investigation, the IRS concurred that there was sufficient evidence to investigate.

Why did the Dem senators demand an investigation? What did these various conservative group do that opened the door to IRS scrutiny. Simple: they existed.
Both 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) have prohibitions against political activity, though the Republican IRS Commissioner appointed by Dubya slacked up a bit on the (c)(4) exemption through interpretation.

If you somehow believe that the Tea Party is not political to its core and hasn't spoken out specifically against Obama during the election season, you're delusional.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Yep, another yawner like Benghazi, Fast and Furious, etc. etc. etc. Faux outrage spawned by the likes on Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck...
They feed their listeners selected snippets of the story specifically designed to outrage them without informing them. Same goes for Issa's committee, for that matter, even if it comes to falsely doctoring emails to support their (mostly false) allegations.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Both 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) have prohibitions against political activity, though the Republican IRS Commissioner appointed by Dubya slacked up a bit on the (c)(4) exemption through interpretation.

If you somehow believe that the Tea Party is not political to its core and hasn't spoken out specifically against Obama during the election season, you're delusional.
At least under current practice, 501(c)(4) groups can be political, just not to the point of endorsing a particular candidate. They can endorse a set of ideas or principles.

Now, should such exemptions be allowed for groups that engage in political activity? HELL NO! But having the IRS target a specific set of ideas or principles, as they seem to have done in this case, is far more disturbing from my POV.

And yes, if the IRS targeted Media Matters for scrutiny under the same conditions that they targeted conservative groups, I'd be just as peeved. I'm peeved anyway, because we've erected this stupid, asinine, cumbersome, ridiculously complicated and expensive tax system that allows this kind of nonsense to go on in the first place.

Last edited by whell; 05-16-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM

But wait, there's more! Here's a reason be be pissed at the IRS and Obamacare all at the same time!

"IRS Official in Charge During Tea Party Targeting Now Runs Health Care Office"

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...h-care-office/

So now, if your voting records indicate you're a registered Republican, you can forget about that liver transplant.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
At least under current practice, 501(c)(4) groups can be political, just not to the point of endorsing a particular candidate. They can endorse a set of ideas or principles.

Now, should such exemptions be allowed for groups that engage in political activity? HELL NO! But having the IRS target a specific set of ideas or principles, as they seem to have done in this case, is far more disturbing in my POV.

And yes, if the IRS targeted Media Matters for scrutiny under the same conditions that they targeted conservative groups, I'd be just as peeved. I'm peeved anyway, because we've erected this stupid, asinine, cumbersome, ridiculously complicated and expensive tax system that allows this kind of nonsense to go on in the first place.
Agreed. Not to excuse the inexcusable at the IRS, but I'm damned glad not to be the one responsible for interpreting the Gawd-awful nonsensical mess that Congress handed the IRS to interpret.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/16/op...-the-irs.html/
Old 05-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Admin

Yawn, I need a cuppa coffee. Y'all got your IRS head on a platter. What more do you want? Impeachment proceedings? Never happen as it stands.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Admin

Quote:
But wait, there's more! Here's a reason be be pissed at the IRS and Obamacare all at the same time!

"IRS Official in Charge During Tea Party Targeting Now Runs Health Care Office"

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...h-care-office/

So now, if your voting records indicate you're a registered Republican, you can forget about that liver transplant.
Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, slowly. OOOoooooooommmmmmmmmmm!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Koch-Teapublican

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
ROFLMAO

Yup, I cant wait /popcorn
Old 05-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBS... View Post
ROFLMAO

Yup, I cant wait /popcorn
You've already missed it, Jim. See post #217.