Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
This is a BS comparison Finn. The IRS spent years investigating the Christian Coalition as well. So what? There's no comparison between those investigations, and this scenario. I don't understand how you don't see that, unless you don't want to see that.
From my POV, it's worse. Seven senators pressuring the IRS to investigate a political foe vs. the IRS acting stupidly in the wake of Citizens United SCOTUS which opened the floodgates for dubious political groups wanting a tax break and to hide their donor list. Moreover, the same senators who started the witch hunt are now hypocritically belly-aching about IRS investigations. For the moment anyway, the previous IRS abuse was top-down and directed by the GOP, whereas the current IRS scandal doesn't appear to be.

Last edited by finnbow; 05-16-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Alot of blood if it's working correctly.
I tried that blood pudding once. Naaaaasty...
Old 05-16-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
From my POV, it's worse.
I'm sure it is, from your POV.

Quote:
Seven senators pressuring the IRS to investigate a political foe vs. the IRS acting stupidly in the wake of Citizens United SCOTUS which opened the floodgates for dubious political groups wanting a tax break and to hide their donor list. Moreover, the same senators who started the witch hunt are now hypocritically belly-aching about IRS investigations. For the moment anyway, the previous IRS abuse was top-down and directed by the GOP, whereas the current IRS scandal doesn't appear to be.
BS!!

From your POV, I'm sure this is no problem at all??

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/...criticizing-it

"Over the last three years, Democratic senators repeatedly and publicly pressured the IRS to engage in the very activities that they are only now condemning today. At the same time, Republicans repeatedly and publicly warned against this abuse of government power and pointed to a series of red flags that strongly suggested conservative political organizations were being targeted by the IRS."

Frankly, it looks like the Dems TOLD the IRS that they expected the additional scrutiny for conservative groups. Now they're running around all surprised that something like this could happen?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
For the moment anyway, the previous IRS abuse was top-down and directed by the GOP, whereas the current IRS scandal doesn't appear to be.
Nice try. But if you accept the premise that its "top-down directed by the GOP", you also MUST REJECT Obama's incredible statements at his process conference saying that he had no idea.

Were's Harry Truman - the buck stops here - when you need him?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Lerner? Maybe it was Dubyas guy?
Quote:
Here's a very interesting article on how the IRS's 501(c)(4) exception, a compliant Republican IRS Commissioner and the SCOTUS Citizens United decision created the conditions that led to this scandal (and which still exist). The GOP was able to launder hundred of millions of dollars into political campaigns without disclosure of its donors (as did the Dems to a lesser degree).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...1f9_story.html
Quote:
Nice try. But if you accept the premise that its "top-down directed by the GOP", you also MUST REJECT Obama's incredible statements at his process conference saying that he had no idea.

See above.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

When I said "top-down," I was referring to a formal letter signed by seven GOP senators to the IRS commissioner demanding an investigation of the NAACP.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
When I said "top-down," I was referring to a formal letter signed by seven GOP senators to the IRS commissioner demanding an investigation of the NAACP.
Since you insist on drawing a false comparison, here's the critical difference:

Why did the GOP senators demand the investigation? What did the NAACP and Julian Bond do that opened the door to IRS scrutiny? Simple: the NAACP is incorporated under a tax-code section 501(c)(3) - reserved for charities, educational institutions and religious organizations - that prohibits participation in a political campaign or political activities for or against a particular candidate. The NAACP distributed material at one of its conventions that was critical of the president - specifically the president - and several of his administration's policies. At that same convention, Julian Bond also made statements critical of the President and his policies. The senators believed that this activity was in violation of tax law, and following an investigation, the IRS concurred that there was sufficient evidence to investigate.

Why did the Dem senators demand an investigation? What did these various conservative group do that opened the door to IRS scrutiny. Simple: they existed.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Area Man

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/14/when...eted_liberals/

Dave
Old 05-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Since you insist on drawing a false comparison, here's the critical difference:

Why did the GOP senators demand the investigation? What did the NAACP and Julian Bond do that opened the door to IRS scrutiny? Simple: the NAACP is incorporated under a tax-code section 501(c)(3) - reserved for charities, educational institutions and religious organizations - that prohibits participation in a political campaign or political activities for or against a particular candidate. The NAACP distributed material at one of its conventions that was critical of the president - specifically the president - and several of his administration's policies. At that same convention, Julian Bond also made statements critical of the President and his policies. The senators believed that this activity was in violation of tax law, and following an investigation, the IRS concurred that there was sufficient evidence to investigate.

Why did the Dem senators demand an investigation? What did these various conservative group do that opened the door to IRS scrutiny. Simple: they existed.
Oh, BOO HOO.

Zzzzzz, Zzzzzzzz, Zzzzzzzz...............................

Dave
Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Oh, BOO HOO.

Zzzzzz, Zzzzzzzz, Zzzzzzzz...............................

Dave
Yep, another yawner like Benghazi, Fast and Furious, etc. etc. etc. Faux outrage spawned by the likes on Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck...