Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
The only sense of entitlement I'm seeing is the sense of entitlement on the part of cops to use excessive force.
Then, per usual, you're not very observant.

Here, let me offer your most linear possible argument: The only sense of entitlement I'm seeing is the sense of entitlement on the part of cops to use excessive force when attacked in their cruiser.

Yep, still sucks.

Related to Brown and Wilson, you've been pummeled so many times without adequate response that the metaphorical fight should have been stopped nine pages ago...

Apparently, you're a masochist?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Nice article. It sure proves the fix is in to me.

And any suggestion that Dr. Judith Melnick is in the tank for anybody is among the most inane shit I've ever heard. The woman is not going to risk her career, her business, her reputation, or anything else by lying for anybody. Not the Ferguson PD, not Al Sharpton, not Darren Wilson, not Michael Brown's family. Nobody.

Go ahead TJ, make a fool of yourself. Tell us all how the fix is in with Judith Melnick.
I can easily imagine how her career and reputation might be furthered, not risked, by showing strong support for the law enforcement officer. It might be that that people important to her career would be unhappy if she failed to do so.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
The law as you describe it grants wide, virtually limitless discretion to the officer. He may act as he feels necessary, based on what he believes, and he can believe what he may. But with such an unbounded field, with such freedom to act or not act, comes moral responsibility. That is, the law says neither that he must kill, nor that he must not. The choice is his.

Under such conditions, we surely must say the responsibility for the choice is his. Legally, he is virtually immune, but morally, he is utterly exposed. There is no shield for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Why would there need to be a shield?

Wilson did what was morally right, protect and serve.
Wilson and his supporters might wish for a moral shield if the shooting was not morally justified. And despite your repeated assertions, that cannot be known with certainty at this time. Keep in mind that this is a 'higher bar' than legal justification, as you have described it.

An example of 'morally not justified' would be the case in which Brown did not initiate an assault on Wilson, and made no aggressive moves before finally being killed. I point out that even if these things are true, Wilson might have believed Brown to be a dangerous felon who needed to be stopped with deadly force. Such belief would make the shooting legally justified, would it not? And if he says he believed it, who can show he didn't? The law, as you have outlined it, does not call for questioning whether he should have believed it....

In any case, I continue to call for the facts to be examined by a jury in open court.

Last edited by donquixote99; 10-23-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:24 AM

A killing might be necessary for self-defense of course. I would hestiate to apply the term moral to any sort of killing though.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Related to Brown and Wilson, you've been pummeled so many times without adequate response that the metaphorical fight should have been stopped nine pages ago...

Apparently, you're a masochist?
I don't give a flying rats fuck what you think Zeke.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I can easily imagine how her career and reputation might be furthered, not risked, by showing strong support for the law enforcement officer. It might be that that people important to her career would be unhappy if she failed to do so.
Melnick is a highly regarded forensic speci@list. She's not in the tank for anybody. She doesn't need to make law enforcement happy. She makes better money per hour working on cases for the defense than she does for law enforcement. Law enforcement has their own people they only use somebody like Melnick when they're in a difficult position and getting bad press, like in this case. Contracts with defense attorney's and the books she's written are more important to her career than making some vote whoring state's attorney politician happy.

You just don't like her professional opinion because it differs with your social agenda. Welcome to TJ land.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 AM

Actually Melnick has come out and said her conclusions are just evidence of various possibilities....she herself has said the media are misinterpreting her findings. You have to remember that the forensic evidence as it applies to the shots fired outside of the car will come into play. It is possible Wilson hit Brown in the armpit area from the back, and then Brown turned around and then put his hands in the air.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Actually Melnick has come out and said her conclusions are just evidence of various possibilities....she herself has said the media are misinterpreting her findings. You have to remember that the forensic evidence as it applies to the shots fired outside of the car will come into play. It is possible Wilson hit Brown in the armpit area from the back, and then Brown turned around and then put his hands in the air.
Of course. It's what forensic pathologists do. They report things like, "The path of the bullet suggests that it's highly unlikely that Michael Brown was shot with his hands up." What does that mean? It means, it's highly unlikely that Michael Brown was shot with his hands up. That's what it means. The report still means that all rounds entered Michael Brown's body from the front...that's what that means. Does it mean anything else? It means somebody with an agenda will try to make their case from it.

So...some in the media with their own special social agenda...on either side of the issue...will use parts of legitimate reports like the one Melnick has prepaired to make their own case on the TV and in print. And it's both sides of the media, Ice...now isn't it? Fox vs. MSNBC.

And it's both sides of the argument on this forum...the Michael Brown was murdered by a racist cop types vs. the Darren Wilson is being exploited by social activists for their own publicity types.

And it will be both sides of the legal teams if the thing ever actually goes to trial. What it means is that in the end, if it goes to trial, Darren Wilson's future will be decided by 12 people who develop a fucking opinion developed by the lawyer who makes the most skillful argument. So much for justice in the American legal system.

And so it goes.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 10-24-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:29 AM

I tend to believe the witnesses that have come forward. I am not so cynical to believe that if there are indeed 7 or 8 African Americans who support Wilson's version of events that they all would be afraid to put there name behind their accounts by this time. One or two would have come forward by now. The leaks by the "secret" grand jury are very self-serving to Wilson.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I don't give a flying rats fuck what you think Zeke.
Which wouldn't be the case if I supported your (weak and erroneous) argument.

Basically, you need a fluffer and I'm not it.

Hurts your little feelings...