Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Anybody denying, or at this point even questioning human causation as part of global warming is either an idiot or an ideologue.
It's just coincidence.

http://www.alternet.org/environment/...warmest-record

Quote:
April capped a 12-month period that tied the warmest such stretch on record, according to data released Tuesday.

That period, going back to May 2014, tied the previous record holder, the 12 months from April 2014 to March 2015. Of the 10 warmest 12-month periods on record, nine occurred in the past two years, most of them in back-to-back stretches.

The clustering of such warm periods is a marker of how much global temperatures have risen thanks to the human-driven buildup of heat-trapping gases in the Earth’s atmosphere.

April’s heat also ensured that 2015 is still the warmest year-to-date on record. And with a healthy looking El Ninothat could further intensify in the coming months, the chances that the year as a whole could best last year’s record-breaking temperature are boosted.

Data released Tuesday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) ranked this April as the fourth-warmest April in the past 136 years, with an average global temperature 1.33°F above the 20th century average. NASA’s similar database put the month tied for the third-warmest April; each agency treats global temperature data in slightly different ways, creating small differences, but overall broad agreement.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Anybody denying, or at this point even questioning human causation as part of global warming is either an idiot or an ideologue.
Or a pot stirring, trouble maker, filled with the love of their own self worth and spewing hate for hate's sake.

Sixth mass extinction is here and we are causing it. Some of the reports I saw give us 2-3 lifetimes. My reading is more like 20-40 years and we are done. I may be an alarmist. But I have kids. I am terrified of what they will have to deal with.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Or a pot stirring, trouble maker, filled with the love of their own self worth and spewing hate for hate's sake.

Sixth mass extinction is here and we are causing it. Some of the reports I saw give us 2-3 lifetimes. My reading is more like 20-40 years and we are done. I may be an alarmist. But I have kids. I am terrified of what they will have to deal with.
They will adapt as they must, regardless of the mess the follies of the present leave them to manage.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2015, 12:04 AM

I hope they can and that is not a painful adjustment.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
They will adapt as they must, regardless of the mess the follies of the present leave them to manage.

They (we) may not be able to adapt. The positive feedback loop now in operation may run away, making human life unsustainable. This is a distinct possibility.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:55 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Agreed. One would think they would at least concede to some human causation and just argue extent by now.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:47 AM

I dunno how it's possible for human activity to not affect it's environmental trends.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:26 AM

It's stunning to see politicians refute the findings of 95% of the scientists and isn't it odd that it's mostly the extreme right that's been on the wrong side of history for quite some time now.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford12 View Post
It's stunning to see politicians refute the findings of 95% of the scientists and isn't it odd that it's mostly the extreme right that's been on the wrong side of history for quite some time now.
It's not exclusively the extreme right. The mainstream Republicans are, for the most part, standing in the way of any meaningful actions addressing anthropogenic climate change. It's a condition of their receiving financial support from fossil fuel and other polluting industries who would suffer as a result of any corrective measures.

There's also the fact that many countries and many oil companies will benefit hugely from an ice-free Arctic.