Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Admin

Is It OK For Progressives To Adopt The NRAs Tactics?

I was reading this analysis in the Post about why the NRA is so strong when it comes to defeating any and all legislation that they disagree with. Maybe it's time to tap into the grassroots mechanism that re elected the President to a second term? Bloomberg has been making some headway but I think it's time the Democratic party and the Independents get off their collective asses and make their wishes known to their reps in congress even if they are like this one in my district, Dana Rohrbacher R-Newport Beach/Palos Verdes Estates.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/invest...6dd_story.html
Old 05-18-2013, 08:29 PM

The problem as I see it is a "Left" leaner will never be a focus as a "Right" leaner will be. Not as full of Hate!

Barney
Old 05-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Area Man

It's not like "progressives" have never played dirty. But there is a certain tone to the NRAs tactics that really bugs me....because it borders on sedition.

The left had some pretty radical elements in the '60s & '70s, but none could amount to the potential trouble an organization with millions of heavily armed members could. Hippies could be smelly, loud and obnoxious, but never struck me as the gun toting types. 1960s & '70s leftwing zealots and modern day rightwing zealots are two totally different animals. One was armed with a bong, Lava Lamps and a VW bus, the other is armed with a closet full of guns-n-ammo.

Dave
Old 05-19-2013, 07:10 AM
Resident octogenarian

and a totally clueless mind.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:18 AM

Isn't it strange.
Left wing terrorism is basically gone.......you just do not see it anymore if I not mistaken.
I am not saying there are not some dangerous left wing groups still around.....but in our consciousness when there is an attack one does not consider the left as being responsible right off the bat. When Boston happened last month the immediate feeling was either Al Qaeda or some sort of Timothy McVeigh anti-government nut.

So I imagine if the threat from these last two sources disappeared something would take their places, sadly.

Now since WWII the hard right (think early Nixon) has never backed away from labeling those on the left as traitors, commies,pinkos, anti-American, unpatriotic,etc. (think Archie Bunker on a bad day). In American history post WWII the big enemy (the other) was the communists, and by extension all those seen as threats to America. And those two were tied together.

Now communism as the "other" has been replaced. The "other' has become big government...this idea that the federal government is bad. If you have been paying attention it seems like the GOP and the right almost hate Hillary Clinton more than the terrorists who killed the ambassador. Just look at the hate directed at Rice, who was basically being a spokeswoman-the messenger-for the CIA talking points.

I am not an uber patriot.......I think skepticism is great. I am not a flag waver. But when the American government becomes the enemy something is not right. I am not talking about Obama but the actual institution which makes our country great and gives us all the freedoms we have now. Even the freedom to buy AR-15s.

I know this guy where I work. He is an NRA member. He likes the Tea Party (so he thinks lol). But he was for background checks and thinks Wayne Lapierre is a dangerous moron.
My point is those of us on the left would have to somehow demonize the NRA leadership to the same level that the whole country (right and left) has demonized extremist Islamic terrorism. I do not have the stomach for that and I think most people on the left do not either. There are too many good people in the organization.

I think the challenge is the progressives have to demonize the anti-government bias that is prevalent and demonstrate what good things the national government is responsible for. A difficult task indeed. Orets is right the progressives are too nice.

Hate the IRS? really? Yeah I had to send in 5 grand last month. But you know what?
No IRS means not graduated income tax based on the progressive notion that those who earn more should pay more. No IRS means the uber rich ripping off the whole country by not paying their taxes......just go to some third world countries and you will see what I mean. That highway you drive on to your house you bought on credit in a car you financed? You have the IRS to partly thank for that. And by extension the big government that all many of the Republicans are pointing to as the enemy....
which they work for by the way.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Barney, not hate. Smarts and organisational skills

Pete
Old 05-20-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Barney, not hate. Smarts and organisational skills

Pete
No Pete, hate. That is the thing about a true lib, it's live and let live.

Carl
Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Don't be hatin on haters bro

I'm driven by hate?

Pete
Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Area Man

I dunno. Are you?

Dave
Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)