Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Welcome back!

There goes the neighborhood.
I was curious about what people here were saying about this event. I see it as sort of similar to 9/1/1939. It will be interesting to see how much we get drawn in to this. The whining of the European nations and the US leaders remind me of the whining going on BEFORE 9/1/1939, so there is that difference.

I do expect China to follow suit in Taiwan, though they may do it differently.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:55 PM
Rational Anarchist

Although knowing what others are saying doesn't require posting.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:48 PM

Pootin's Puppet again praises Putin moments before Russia launches invasion of Ukraine

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-aga...042841605.html

Disgusting pig. You'd have to be as stupid as the Insane Clown to still support this traitor.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:06 PM

White House spox calls Trump and Putin 'two nauseating, fearful pigs who hate what America stands for'

https://news.yahoo.com/white-house-t...183236813.html

Correct.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Pootin's Puppet again praises Putin moments before Russia launches invasion of Ukraine

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-aga...042841605.html

Disgusting pig. You'd have to be as stupid as the Insane Clown to still support this traitor.
I think you are missing the point. He's saying that, if you put yourself in Putin's shoes, his being pretty shrewd in how he is acting in his country's best interests on the international stage.

One key ingredient to finding peace with your adversary is to "know thy enemy". It's why we blew it with Hitler (the seeds of the rise of the German Nazi party were sown with the Treaty of Versailles). It's important to see your enemy not as just "the bad guys" (something often done in political arguments on social media and forums), but as people like you, that have wants, needs, a patriotic pride, etc. This allows one to at least understand what Putin is doing and why. We "dehumanize" our political/military foes at our peril.

And in this interview is a great rundown of what's going on and what has brought us to where we are today:

"What does Russia Want"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYK4UGS-C0I
Old 02-25-2022, 08:23 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
I think you are missing the point. He's saying that, if you put yourself in Putin's shoes, his being pretty shrewd in how he is acting in his country's best interests on the international stage.

One key ingredient to finding peace with your adversary is to "know thy enemy". It's why we blew it with Hitler (the seeds of the rise of the German Nazi party were sown with the Treaty of Versailles)...
Hitler's ideology was largely based upon a 1916 book by the American author Madison Grant, The Passing of the Great Race, which Hitler referred to as "his Bible" for its views on the exalted "Nordic race" and the need for racial purity. It was published 3 years prior to the Treaty of Versailles.

FWIW, it remains the Bible for America's NeoNazi movement per Richard Spencer, one of America's most prominent NeoNazi's (and outspoken Trump fanboy).

As for "we blew it with Hitler," Hitler launched WWII over 2 years before we entered it (as a result of Pearl Harbor). Blaming the USA for Hitler or Putin is profoundly stupid and dismisses their own culpability.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Hitler's ideology was largely based upon a 1916 book by the American author Madison Grant, The Passing of the Great Race, which Hitler referred to as "his Bible" for its views on the exalted "Nordic race" and the need for racial purity. It was published 3 years prior to the Treaty of Versailles.

FWIW, it remains the Bible for America's NeoNazi movement per Richard Spencer, one of America's most prominent NeoNazi's (and outspoken Trump fanboy).

As for "we blew it with Hitler," Hitler launched WWII over 2 years before we entered it (as a result of Pearl Harbor). Blaming the USA for Hitler or Putin is profoundly stupid and dismisses their own culpability.
I agree very much with the first part of your post. However, by "we" I meant the rest of Europe and also the US. And by "Hitler", I really meant Germany. Sorry about the imprecision in that last part. When I said "rise of the Nazi's", implied was the rise of Hitler.

BTW, Associating Trump with Spencer is like associating vegetarians, tea totallers or dog lovers with Hitler.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:57 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:

One key ingredient to finding peace with your adversary is to "know thy enemy". It's why we blew it with Hitler (the seeds of the rise of the German Nazi party were sown with the Treaty of Versailles). It's important to see your enemy not as just "the bad guys" (something often done in political arguments on social media and forums), but as people like you, that have wants, needs, a patriotic pride, etc. This allows one to at least understand what Putin is doing and why. We "dehumanize" our political/military foes at our peril.

And in this interview is a great rundown of what's going on and what has brought us to where we are today:

"What does Russia Want"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYK4UGS-C0I

Your Versailles seed analogy is weak. The NAZI's blamed the WWI defeat, symbolized by said treaty, on traitorous Jews, thus creating a demon to rally around. The treaty was plant food for the seeds. Now, the Traité de Saint-Germain-en-Laye [url]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Saint-Germain-en-Laye_(1919)][/url was a seed: "As the Austrian national identity did not exist and develop prior to 1945, people had German national consciousness. Article 88 of the treaty required Austria to refrain from directly or indirectly compromising its independence, which meant that Austria could not enter into political or economic union with the German Reich without..." this is why Ansclush was such big deal. Hitler had united the German race. With this Hitler had the people behind him an the rest is history.

Last edited by nailer; 02-25-2022 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:02 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
I agree very much with the first part of your post. However, by "we" I meant the rest of Europe and also the US. And by "Hitler", I really meant Germany. Sorry about the imprecision in that last part. When I said "rise of the Nazi's", implied was the rise of Hitler.

BTW, Associating Trump with Spencer is like associating vegetarians, tea totallers or dog lovers with Hitler.
Say what you mean and mean what you say. Although, I think most understood what you were implying. You have to remember, finnbow thinks Trump is another Hitler, I'm a big time Trump supporter, and Putin isn't a good strategist and tactitian.

Last edited by nailer; 02-25-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Your Versailles seed analogy is weak. The NAZI's blamed the WWI defeat, symbolized by said treaty, on traitorous Jews, thus creating a demon to rally around. The treaty was plant food for the seeds. Now, the Traité de Saint-Germain-en-Laye [url]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Saint-Germain-en-Laye_(1919)][/url was a seed: "As the Austrian national identity did not exist and develop prior to 1945, people had German national consciousness. Article 88 of the treaty required Austria to refrain from directly or indirectly compromising its independence, which meant that Austria could not enter into political or economic union with the German Reich without..." this is why Ansclush was such big deal. Hitler had united the German race. With this Hitler had the people behind him an the rest is history.
Greater minds than ours have this same disagreement. I was making a blanket statement, trying to avoid the weeds. I've been a student of the rise and fall of the Nazi party in Germany since the late 60's, when I was in high school. It's always fascinated me - to this day.

Have you read "The rise and fall of the third Reich"? It can be tedious at times, but if you plow through there are some great insights.