Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereoholic View Post
Orders are up for us- actually better than this time last year. We're in the manufactured/ modular housing business.
Well, after everbuddy loses their "Upside-Downies" McMansion, the Gummint'll hafta stick 'em SOMEWHERE... (grin)
Old 10-07-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Well, after everbuddy loses their "Upside-Downies" McMansion, the Gummint'll hafta stick 'em SOMEWHERE... (grin)
I see your point, Sandy. Actually, most of our customers are repeat home buyers looking for an upgrade, a retirement home, or something for the lake.

No FEMA trailers for us.

Last edited by Stereoholic; 10-07-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: portion removed would be more appropriate in its own thread
Old 10-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Resident octogenarian

Oddly enough they are still building large houses here and selling them to boot. Our place increased by $10,000 in the last 45 days.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Administrator

The only huge plus around here for me is selling snowblowers. I can't get them done fast enough. In fact, I have people on a waiting list.....
Old 10-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Resident octogenarian

So there is some value to the lake effect after all.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:39 PM

I guess a reply addressing the actual thread is in order.

Construction is picking up here in mid Missouri, but it is still slow. It was absolutely dead until well into the 2nd quarter, I think that when people started to win back some of their losses in the market they started to feel wealthy again.

Personally, I've got a four month backlog at the time, which, considering the nature of things and the time of year, is pretty good. And I have several bids still out, and am bidding more.

Haven't made any money, but I haven't lost any, still have my crew intact, and I'm positioned to move when things open up.

Provided things open up...a big if.

Chas
Old 10-07-2009, 05:23 PM

Good news in WI and AZ

Just read in the news that Sub-Zero/ Wolf (the appliance manufacturer) is recalling laid-off workers. Nice to see some good news for once.

The following is from the Wisconsin State Journal.

An increase in home sales and home remodeling projects has prompted Sub-Zero/Wolf to add a second production shift at its factories producing high-end appliances in Fitchburg and Phoenix.

The company said Wednesday it has hired back 165 workers in Wisconsin and 40 in Arizona who were laid off earlier this year. They are needed to meet the increased demand for its "luxury" refrigerators, freezers and wine storage units, the company said.

Another 60 people are to be hired for salaried positions over the next six months. All the hourly employees will be back on the job by November, the company said.

"We're cautiously optimistic that the industry and the economy will continue to recover," said Chuck Verri, vice president for human resources, "and so we've positioned ourselves to rebound quickly as we come out of this recessionary period."
Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM

Never heard of Sub-Zero/Wolf, maybe too high end for Bugtussell.

But folks can only sit on their pocketbooks for so long, things wear out. Besides, they're more and more folks.

I'm an optomist. The big boys have taken their profits, the natives are starting to get restless, the time has come for some smooth sailing. Provided the puppet masters have a firm grip on the strings.

I only hope so, too old to start over again.
Chas
Old 10-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Abby Normal

business remains very bad

Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM

At least 2 more weeks in the space boot for me.

Have a job offer on hold til I recover, but not so sure the ankle will be ready for 8-10 hr shift on the hot line after months of lounging. Besides, duck season opens in earnest this month, and we can hunt pretty much un-interuppted til April as long as the birds cooperate w/ travel to Ark and South Missouri, where "Huntin Whitey" has a whole different meaning.