Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Ayup. I remember a mill in Youngstown investing a few million in furnace upgrades only to shut down the following year. Too little, too late.

Another fascinating story is one of Bethlehem Steel executives building golf courses at nearly every facility as they went into bankruptcy for the final time in the 1990s. They simply assumed that they were still so vital to the economy and national defense that the government would bail them out, no questions asked. Their thinking really was that far behind the times as BethSteel had ceased to be vital in either way decades earlier. Amazing.

Dave
A feller can make pretty good money going broke...if he knows what he's doing.

Chas
Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I see that Obama has taken the tactic of ridicule, straight from "Rules for Radicals", to label any critics of his push for more EPA controls as members of the " Flat Earth Society".

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...#ixzz2XFsQ5mgH

Which is the sort of diatribe I would expect from the leading cheerleader of the "Chicken Little Society".

Apparently, he has given even less thought as to what these actions will do concerning the economic recovery as he extended whenever he discussed the "profits/earning" ratio concerning the stock market.

I DO wish he would stick to doing something he's proficient at...such as being a freeloading golfer at the taxpayer's expense.

Chas
Seems to me that tactic was well used during the Bush administration when anyone who questioned the truth behind WNDs was labeled 'unAmerican' and 'unpatriotic'.

Guess the Bush and his cohorts must be very familiar with those Rules for Radicals you referenced.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Seems to me that tactic was well used during the Bush administration when anyone who questioned the truth behind WNDs was labeled 'unAmerican' and 'unpatriotic'.

Guess the Bush and his cohorts must be very familiar with those Rules for Radicals you referenced.
Indeed. There's no successful tactic employed only by one side of the political aisle. If it works, they all do it and creating/exploiting fear is very high in the hierarchy of political tactics, perhaps at the very top.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:

He started it, Mommy!!!

Chas
Old 06-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
He started it, Mommy!!!

Chas
Neither of them started it. They're simply engaging in a tactic as old as American politics.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
The greatest generation screwed up?

Every time I see this thread title I picture the Pres with a giant broom.

Pete
Um....Actually, in some ways...Yes. And, I think you know that, Pete.

But, then, considering the way they suffered in the years preceding and during the war, I really can't blame them for taking advantage of the unique situation and the times they lived in following WW2. I would have done the same.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-25-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Neither of them started it. They're simply engaging in a tactic as old as American politics.
Ayup.

Dave
Old 06-25-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
He started it, Mommy!!!

Chas
Just pointing out the obvious, Chas.

If you don't want to see a comparison to a republican, don't try pinning wrong doing on one party when both are equally guilty.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Area Man

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Indeed. There's no successful tactic employed only by one side of the political aisle. If it works, they all do it and creating/exploiting fear is very high in the hierarchy of political tactics, perhaps at the very top.
Actually the Republican mastery of this technique is awe inspiring.

I don't recall who said it, but I recently saw a quote that went something like;

"The most tragic aspect of modern Liberalism is that it will be most staunchly opposed by those who stand to gain the most from it."

Of course you will oppose something such as Medicare when you have been conditioned to believe that receiving anything from the government makes you a mooching welfare case..............

Dave
Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
The greatest generation screwed up?

Every time I see this thread title I picture the Pres with a giant broom.

Pete
I said the mill owners Pete, I doubt that any of them saw service.