Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Resident octogenarian

Anyone read Garrison Kielor's column today, laughed my head off.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Just heard these fellows on NPR and have to say I really like what they are preaching. http://www.madashelldoctors.com/

I invite you to poke around and let me know your thoughts.
Single Payer is the only thing to do.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 PM

The new Republican Healthcare Plan: No-Care™
Old 10-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Loyal Opposition

Being a newcomer here, I am a little late to this thread, but I'll add a some fodder for debate. I work for another group that are on the Right's hate list - unions. Most of the construction industry unions offer health plans that are provided by health care trusts, jointly managed by union and employer trustees. Many of those plans offer comprehensive coverage. The cost to employers and members is considerably less than the cost of providing coverage through commercial health insurance. Why? The trusts are run as not for profit organizations. Those managing and administering the plan have a fiduciary duty to the members to operate the plan for the benefit of the participants. (Some small contractors, even though they know they are going to pay a higher wage to the workers, want to sign a union contract, not only because they know that there will be a pool of highly trained tradesmen available to work their job, but also because the health care coverage is the best deal in town.)

Now, those who are opposing a public option or a single payer plan don't want the government meddling in their health care, or setting up fictional death panels to determine who lives and who dies. I would much rather have a public servant, whose job is to make sure the health coverage works, determine benefits, than one whose fiduciary duty runs only to the stock-holders, who expect to make a profit on their shares, even after the company spends gobs of money on advertising, lobbying, commissions, and bonuses.

Here's an illustrative example of how out of whack health care costs are. Last year, I needed a root canal. At the first consultation, the administrators at the dentist's office provided me with paperwork showing the costs of the procedure. When it came time to pay, my co-pay was based on a lower cost, because of the amount my plan would pay for the procedure. I'm not griping that it costs me less, but I couldn't help being struck by the irony. I, who have coverage and was therefore getting help paying the bill, recieved a lower price for the procedure than one who had no help and had to pay the entire bill on his own.

Them thats got shall get and them thats not shall lose . . . it still ain't news.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 10-16-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Exactly. There is no way the Republicans will support any plan. They aren't even pretending to try to make things better. They just want to deny Obama a "win" and hope to throw enough disinformation around to turn the public against him.
You are correct, Sir. And the Dems are trying to pass any kind of a turd bill in order to say that they have "fixed health care", for political gain.

Politics as usual. And it stinks, as usual.

Chas
Old 10-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
the Dems are trying to pass any kind of a turd bill in order to say that they have "fixed health care", for political gain.

Politics as usual. And it stinks, as usual.
This bill is garbage I also agree.

First the bogus help bill for those in foreclosure and now this?

We are screwed folks unless you can crawl your way into the ruling class.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
This bill is garbage I also agree.

First the bogus help bill for those in foreclosure and now this?

We are screwed folks unless you can crawl your way into the ruling class.
Hell, for a minute I thought I was there!!!

Just received a letter from the Pachyderms asking me to represent Republican voters in the 4th Missouri Congressional District.

And people said I'd never amount to nothing!!!!

Now this may come as a shock to those who are less politically savvy than an up and coming leader of the Republican Party such as myself, but when you read between the lines, you find that this is no more than a fund raising gimmick.

Being a "real" Republican, the "I got mine, everybody else can go to Hell" type, I'll not be making a donation. If I'm gonna be a politician, I want bribes, not a bill in the mail.

I guess I'm back to being nobody or nothing again.

Chas
Old 10-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Resident octogenarian

Florence called the doctor yesterday to find out about H1N1 flu shots. The nurse said they are not giving the shot to anyone over 65. So Florence said "So if we get the flu are we supposed to die quickly?" (Sounds like the Grassley/Hatch health care plan). Death panels anyone?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:49 PM

Damn, Noon, how did you manage to get 140 posts ahead of me?

You need to get a job, or a life, or something. You don't want to wind up like me.

Chas
Old 10-16-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Florence called the doctor yesterday to find out about H1N1 flu shots. The nurse said they are not giving the shot to anyone over 65. So Florence said "So if we get the flu are we supposed to die quickly?" (Sounds like the Grassley/Hatch health care plan). Death panels anyone?
Tell you what, you can have mine, provided I haven't been excluded for a different reason.

I'm ready to go to the better place at any time. Frankly, life hasn't been a great deal of fun for me.

Chas